OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ran filter socks for 2+ years. My tank hasn't crashed, and I would say corals are thriving....

You make it sound like corals in one tank we're doing better just because of the roller filter, I find that very hard to believe.
Believe or not , if you have seen the video , then that is all i can say. dont get me wrong , you tank looks really good, I can say is you spend alot of time to upkeep , there is no way to maintain a tank like that with no effort , That i do know , this is not my rodeo!

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe or not , if you have seen the video , then that is all i can say. dont get me wrong , you tank looks really good, I can say is you spend alot of time to upkeep , there is no way to maintain a tank like that with no effort , That i do know , this is not my rodeo!

You are correct. I just did a water change 3 months ago, I fed my fish pellets this morning, and I tested alk for the first time in 2 months.

OH, almost forgot, I cleaned the glass 3 times last week. Geez what a headache that was.

PS- ^ that is all 100% true.

Filter socks/mechanical filtration is not the key to a successful reef. The only mechanical filtration on my tank is a bubble king protein skimmer. I'm not saying filter socks/roller filters are a waste, I'm just saying they aren't necessary.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. I just did a water change 3 months ago, I fed my fish pellets this morning, and I tested alk for the first time in 2 months.

OH, almost forgot, I cleaned the glass 3 times last week. Geez what a headache that was.

Filter socks/mechanical filtration is not the key to a successful reef. The only mechanical filtration on my tank is a bubble king protein skimmer. I'm not saying filter socks/roller filters are a waste, I'm just saying they aren't necessary.
;)

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sorry, first rodeo!;);)

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are
Are you sure, you do no supplements, you do nothing to your tank, WOW THATS INCREDIBLE , I dont know anyone that doesnt have to do weekly maintainence, sounds like you need to teach all one your methods so we all can have tanks like yours!;););););););););)

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By the way, I never said this was the answer for perfect water parimiters , What i did say is that this filter paper helps with the removal of bad nutients going back into the water columb to help with a stable tank!!!!!!

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are

Are you sure, you do no supplements, you do nothing to your tank, WOW THATS INCREDIBLE , I dont know anyone that doesnt have to do weekly maintainence, sounds like you need to teach all one your methods so we all can have tanks like yours!;););););););););)

I have a calcium reactor.

Only things I consistently dose are mag, potassium, ME aminos, and Pohls Xtra. Not daily though.

Not sure what dosing amino acids and potassium have to do with mechanical filtration though ??

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a calcium reactor.

Only things I consistently dose are mag, potassium, ME aminos, and Pohls Xtra. Not daily though.

Not sure what dosing amino acids and potassium have to do with mechanical filtration though ??
Its not what i am saying, its what you quoted, you do nothing to your tank and keep a thriving one at that, you say you have no filtration except a skimmer, no water changes for a couple months but you clean your glass 3 times a week, see were im coming from, if not, please teach me to maintain a perfect tank like yours with nothing involved, I AM AMAZED!! ;)

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not what i am saying, its what you quoted, you do nothing to your tank and keep a thriving one at that, you say you have no filtration except a skimmer, no water changes for a couple months but you clean your glass 3 times a week, see were im coming from, if not, please teach me to maintain a perfect tank like yours with nothing involved, I AM AMAZED!! ;)

Why do you feel you need a roller filter? Do you have high nitrates? Phosphates?

I prefer NOT to remove detritus and extra food from my tank, I would rather leave it in there and let my corals feed off of it.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you feel you need a roller filter? Do you have high nitrates? Phosphates?

I prefer NOT to remove detritus and extra food from my tank, I would rather leave it in there and let my corals feed off of it.
Since i put this filter on my tank, my water parimiters have been more stable[ and i do dos alk, cal,mag, as needed] before roller filter tank parimiters were swinging all over with fiter socks, NOT ANYMORE , WILL NEVER USE A SOCK AGAIN. roller fiter turns with a timer [ by the way protien skimmer not doing much of anything due to filter paper collecting more than you can imagine] It is hard for ME to get a grip on someone that has a tank as yours and practicly do nothing! been doing this a long time as others have and had problems with water chemistry as others have also, just read some of the threads were some are lost at what happened to there tank OVERNIGHT!

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since i put this filter on my tank, my water parimiters have been more stable[ and i do dos alk, cal,mag, as needed] before roller filter tank parimiters were swinging all over with fiter socks, NOT ANYMORE , WILL NEVER USE A SOCK AGAIN. roller fiter turns with a timer [ by the way protien skimmer not doing much of anything due to filter paper collecting more than you can imagine] It is hard for ME to get a grip on someone that has a tank as yours and practicly do nothing! been doing this a long time as others have and had problems with water chemistry as others have also, just read some of the threads were some are lost at what happened to there tank OVERNIGHT!

Would love to learn more about how a roller filter keeps your parameters more stable. Or how filter socks caused your parameters to swing. [emoji848]

I mean shoot, I'll get a roller filter if I can turn off my calcium reactor. [emoji1303]

I've learned over the years that the less I tinker and tweak things on my tank, the better it does. IMO, Stability is the key to a successful reef tank.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to learn more about how a roller filter keeps your parameters more stable. Or how filter socks caused your parameters to swing. [emoji848]

I mean shoot, I'll get a roller filter if I can turn off my calcium reactor. [emoji1303]

I've learned over the years that the less I tinker and tweak things on my tank, the better it does. IMO, Stability is the key to a successful reef tank.
BINGO!!:D

ShawnB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fleece cutaway stabilizer

Hello Ray, First of I want to say your design work on this build is outstanding. I have watched all your videos on this and can tell it is very thought out from your first build and the upgrades you made on your second one using egg crate. I am seriously thinking of adding this to my aquarium.

I have been days trying to find where you got your filter rolls from and finally find this link you posted.

Here is my problem, You are calling it Fleece Filter Paper. The link posted is cut away material used as a machine stabilizer for embroidery. My concern is that I can not find what there material is made of. When I google the product I find other posting of this same product and the only mention of materiel in it is silicone which is used for needle lubrication. I can not find anywhere what this product is made from, is it polyester, cotton, fleece. I guess what I am asking is can you provide a better description of what this material is made from and some proof of that since I am unable to find it. I try never to add something to my aquarium that has not been proven to be reef safe. I know you are currently running with this material but my concern is if there is something in the paper that is harming your tank that may not be harming it now but will have dyer effects to your tank in the future.

I have read a lot of unnecessary bashing on here. I personally think your experiment shows something between filter the standard filter socks and your Filter Roller.
That is not my intention, I am asking because I am think about doing this project on my tank in the near future and hate changing filter socks. Also like that you are not limited to the 600 GPH rating of the other device.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link posted is cut away material used as a machine stabilizer for embroidery. My concern is that I can not find what there material is made of.
50%
The link posted is cut away material used as a machine stabilizer for embroidery. My concern is that I can not find what there material is made of.
50%polyester/
Fleece cutaway stabilizer

Hello Ray, First of I want to say your design work on this build is outstanding. I have watched all your videos on this and can tell it is very thought out from your first build and the upgrades you made on your second one using egg crate. I am seriously thinking of adding this to my aquarium.

I have been days trying to find where you got your filter rolls from and finally find this link you posted.

Here is my problem, You are calling it Fleece Filter Paper. The link posted is cut away material used as a machine stabilizer for embroidery. My concern is that I can not find what there material is made of. When I google the product I find other posting of this same product and the only mention of materiel in it is silicone which is used for needle lubrication. I can not find anywhere what this product is made from, is it polyester, cotton, fleece. I guess what I am asking is can you provide a better description of what this material is made from and some proof of that since I am unable to find it. I try never to add something to my aquarium that has not been proven to be reef safe. I know you are currently running with this material but my concern is if there is something in the paper that is harming your tank that may not be harming it now but will have dyer effects to your tank in the future.

I have read a lot of unnecessary bashing on here. I personally think your experiment shows something between filter the standard filter socks and your Filter Roller.
That is not my intention, I am asking because I am think about doing this project on my tank in the near future and hate changing filter socks. Also like that you are not limited to the 600 GPH rating of the other device.

Thanks
50% polyester/50% rayon , the silicone in the material is for the seal of penitration, there is no lubricant in the paper itself. currently trying a different material that is 100% polyester that will be washable, waiting for it to be finished so i can put in the washer, the only problem is the material is not as long as the paper, the micron is a little finer [ that is a plus ] .

ShawnB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50%

50%polyester/

50% polyester/50% rayon , the silicone in the material is for the seal of penitration, there is no lubricant in the paper itself. currently trying a different material that is 100% polyester that will be washable, waiting for it to be finished so i can put in the washer, the only problem is the material is not as long as the paper, the micron is a little finer [ that is a plus ] .
Hello Ray,

Do tell what you are trying now, Maybe a link to the product. I understand that polyester is safe and machine washable. Not sure what you are using but to be on the safe side to preserve the filter media you may want to put it into a washer bag. I like this idea but I would want a roll to last at a minimum of a month. I hated changing out filter socks so I wouldn't want to add a new compartment to my sump that I would have to change the roll on every week. Kind of defeats the purpose for me of reducing the weekly maintenance. Also just a quick search but could not find anywhere if Rayon was reef safe or not.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Ray,

Do tell what you are trying now, Maybe a link to the product. I understand that polyester is safe and machine washable. Not sure what you are using but to be on the safe side to preserve the filter media you may want to put it into a washer bag. I like this idea but I would want a roll to last at a minimum of a month. I hated changing out filter socks so I wouldn't want to add a new compartment to my sump that I would have to change the roll on every week. Kind of defeats the purpose for me of reducing the weekly maintenance. Also just a quick search but could not find anywhere if Rayon was reef safe or not.
The new filter media is 100% polyester, cant say at this time as to how long it will last, I can say it is currently on my 180 now for two weeks and still has a long way to go. I do not want to say from where i get the material from because it is still being tested and do not want anyone trying something until proven. I would hate for someones tank to crash because of something has a side effect from the filter, I am the test dummy. I like what i see so far.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back