ROLLER FILTER VS FILTER SOCK IN ACTION

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So $20.00 x 50=1000.00 holy smoke batfish, i think the joker got you!
I don't need 50 of them, just 3. One in the system, one being cleaned and one drying = $60. But I believe you can take out too much out of the water. There are organisms that eat those small particles in the water column so why take them out. 200 micron is as small as I would want in a filter.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you are testing a 200 micron filter to a 60 micron filter. Test a 60 micron filter sock against the paper then you have a true comparison.
So let me get this straight, i am supposed to find a 60 micron sock that is the same as the filter paper and do a test to see what works better, whats the point and where do you find a 60 micron sock, I know, I have to make them. You better come up with somthing better than that. 200 to 300 micron socks are the norm that I know of,you also stated you can get 1 micron socks, you also stated they would cost you 20 bucks a piece and you have to buy 50 at a time. you also stated that you would sell them, how much you think your gonna charge and make a small proffit for your time:(

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me get this straight, i am supposed to find a 60 micron sock that is the same as the filter paper and do a test to see what works better, whats the point and where do you find a 60 micron sock, I know, I have to make them. You better come up with somthing better than that. 200 to 300 micron socks are the norm that I know of,you also stated you can get 1 micron socks, you also stated they would cost you 20 bucks a piece and you have to buy 50 at a time. you also stated that you would sell them, how much you think your gonna charge and make a small proffit for your time:(
No, I said if I wanted to re-sell them I would have to buy quantities of 50, I received 6ea in various sizes as samples to test. Average price is about $20. It all depends of if I want draw string, stainless steel ring, plastic molded ring or plastic sewn in ring. I could sell a 75 micron mesh filter sock with plastic sewn in ring for $10, 50 micron with sewn in ring for $12, but a 1 micron mesh with draw string would have to go for $35. Felt bags are cheaper but anyone can go to JoAnn Fabric and get felt and make their own.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I said if I wanted to re-sell them I would have to buy quantities of 50, I received 6ea in various sizes as samples to test. Average price is about $20. It all depends of if I want draw string, stainless steel ring, plastic molded ring or plastic sewn in ring. I could sell a 75 micron mesh filter sock with plastic sewn in ring for $10, 50 micron with sewn in ring for $12, but a 1 micron mesh with draw string would have to go for $35. Felt bags are cheaper but anyone can go to JoAnn Fabric and get felt and make their own.
I get them through work. But I have thought about working directly with our distributor to purchase and possibly re-sell. The only issue is I would have to buy in quantities of 50.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... Good luck Ray! I'm pretty sure everyone already knows that a 60 micron filter will clear water more than a 300 filter will. This is not a comparison thread at all.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... Good luck Ray! I'm pretty sure everyone already knows that a 60 micron filter will clear water more than a 300 filter will. This is not a comparison thread at all.
Sure is a comparison, I guess you missed the vids. I dont understand what your point is. This is a point about about FILTER PAPER VS FILTER SOCK. Who is everyone that you speak of, are you talking about all on reef2reef. I guess you must have not figured out that this is about a SELF TURNING FILTER PAPER!:D:D:D:D

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the videos, but until you compare the two with the same micron size then it's pretty pointless!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone who has only been an active member since August and the only thing you comment on is something that has to do with a Roller paper filter. Clearly we can see what your objective here at R2R is. Good luck with your future endeavors.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the videos, but until you compare the two with the same micron size then it's pretty pointless!
I can tell you that you are missing the whole point, you buy your filter socks at lfs or online , either way what is the best micron you buy 200 or 300 i may be wrong but you and only you will have to clarify this. Next is how often do you change your filter socks [ Depends on the size of your tank and how is it stocked, and you never said by the way;)]
You still dont get it:D You go to your lfs and buy your filter socks or online, [ARE YOU STILL FOLLOWING] 200 or 300 micron or maybe less , dont know your area or who you deal with. [ by the way you never said how big your tank is and whats in it and how long running] you put your socks in [ maybe a couple days you have to change your socks ] . now what if something died in your tank, maybe even some algae that you did not see:D. with your filter sock its gonna pass right through cause you dont change until either overflowing or you are a really good at household chores that are done on a daily basis. [ YOU STILL THERE AND FOLLOWING I HOPE] The point of the roller filter paper is that it turns on a timed basis, your filter sock gets changed WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE IT:D:D:D:D:D:D

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone who has only been an active member since August and the only thing you comment on is something that has to do with a Roller paper filter. Clearly we can see what your objective here at R2R is. Good luck with your future endeavors.
And what do you think that is. you better be carefull what you say and try to acuse!

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think this is my first rodeo. If you watched the videos, Then I guess you did see my 7000 gallon saltwater tank. I made all the filtration, ran that tank for three years, had a trackhoe with a hammer on it to tear it out [ THAT IM NOT PROUD OF:(:(]

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray, I've been using filter socks for the last year on my 300g mixed reef. I use a 200 micron sock. I change it out religiously every 4 days. I keep 10 on hand at a time. I wash them twice and then discard. I understand what you are trying to accomplish. All I'm saying is that it's hard to compare if you have different micron sizes. I'd be interested in seeing the difference if u put a filter sock and roller at the same micron size side by side and document the difference. And yes I watched the videos and saw the difference. It's because of the micron difference. Both have great uses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray, I've been using filter socks for the last year on my 300g mixed reef. I use a 200 micron sock. I change it out religiously every 4 days. I keep 10 on hand at a time. I wash them twice and then discard. I understand what you are trying to accomplish. All I'm saying is that it's hard to compare if you have different micron sizes. I'd be interested in seeing the difference if u put a filter sock and roller at the same micron size side by side and document the difference. And yes I watched the videos and saw the difference. It's because of the micron difference. Both have great uses.
This project was for the difference between a regular store bought filter sock and filter paper, I can get filter paper same micron but that would defeat the whole purpose of this.

HeadStrongGrafx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious? I didn't read the entire thread but where are you getting 60micron paper from? My theiling roller mat can't be 60 microns cause it still lets through a lot of fine particles that I put an extra 100 micron filter sock on the output to catch what gets through. If u have a finer micron paper than theiling I would love to try it!!!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter sock is 300 micron and the roller filter is 60 micron, I have not seen a filter sock less than 200 micron but i could be wrong and if anyone knows were , please let me know were!

Well that answers that. No way will a 300 micron sock filter out as much as a 60 micron paper. Pointless comparison IMO.
There are 100 micron socks easily available.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious? I didn't read the entire thread but where are you getting 60micron paper from? My theiling roller mat can't be 60 microns cause it still lets through a lot of fine particles that I put an extra 100 micron filter sock on the output to catch what gets through. If u have a finer micron paper than theiling I would love to try it!!!
Amazon has it, look up fleece paper roll. I tried using medium, was to thick, now using the light paper.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back