Ron Reefman's Rock Flower experience

rodrigocpu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are 2 of them having some quality time.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-05-29 at 12.50.45 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-29 at 12.50.45 PM.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 49

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RFAs are broadcast spawners. The males chuck sperm into the water for the females to absorb. They don't mate the way mammals do, requiring up-close contact of certain organs.

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had the time to go through this thread and research on my own, but what is the secret to get these guys to spawn? Ive had the same group of 7 or so for the past couple years and they spawned once in my fluval 13.5, but that was like 3 years ago and since moving them I haven't seen them spawn again. I saw babies but iirc only one made it, then died later on from a temperature spike. Had the same ones for a while but havent seen them spawn in ages, should I try just target feeding mysis often? Havent fed them in a bit

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had the time to go through this thread and research on my own, but what is the secret to get these guys to spawn? Ive had the same group of 7 or so for the past couple years and they spawned once in my fluval 13.5, but that was like 3 years ago and since moving them I haven't seen them spawn again. I saw babies but iirc only one made it, then died later on from a temperature spike. Had the same ones for a while but havent seen them spawn in ages, should I try just target feeding mysis often? Havent fed them in a bit
Target feeding rfa always help. I've gotten at least 3 spawning events in the past year and I target feed my rfa 2 or 3 times a week.

EvolvedMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this has been answered on this thread, but I got to page 10 and hadn't found it, so I thought I'd ask here.

What's the basic procedure for adding RFAs to the tank?

This is the first thing I've added to my tank on my own (LFS usually comes and does it).

Does this sound right:

Float in sump for 15-20 mins, turn the pump/powerheads off, place the anemones on a towel to allow them to expel some of their water for a few minutes, then hold each anemone onto the rock low in the tank (maybe where the rock meets the sand) until they attach?

Any other considerations for newly shipped anemone?

Thanks. I look forward to getting these beautiful creatures into my tank.

Mmbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually float them about 20 minutes in the shipping bag, then take it out and let it secure its foot in a pvc cap and plop it in the tank.

EvolvedMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually float them about 20 minutes in the shipping bag, then take it out and let it secure its foot in a pvc cap and plop it in the tank.
Thanks for the reply. I basically did the same. 30 minute float. 5-10 minutes on a towel.. Placed foot on a rock near where it meets the sand. They are all beautiful, happy, and healthy. I'm pumped.

Goey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure this has been answered in this thread somewhere but going through 44 pages is a lot, i recently got 5 RFAs and added them to my tank, they have all found a spot they like and haven't moved. However they are closed up and only open up a little bit and then for the most part close back up again. I was wondering how long it takes for them to get used to the tank and open up completely, also I was wondering how soon to start spot feeding them after adding them to the tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure this has been answered in this thread somewhere but going through 44 pages is a lot, i recently got 5 RFAs and added them to my tank, they have all found a spot they like and haven't moved. However they are closed up and only open up a little bit and then for the most part close back up again. I was wondering how long it takes for them to get used to the tank and open up completely, also I was wondering how soon to start spot feeding them after adding them to the tank.
They should open up fairly quickly if they are happy with the environment. Surely by day 2. I wouldn't feed them until they are comfortable.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How recent is recently? I’ve had ones added my tanks that were open in literally minutes. Any more than a few days and I would be concerned.

Goey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added them to the tank on Wednesday, they are opening up more often now. They open up the most when the light is off, should I turn the light down a bit? I am using an Aquaknight A029 with white at 10% and blue at 40%

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added them to the tank on Wednesday, they are opening up more often now. They open up the most when the light is off, should I turn the light down a bit? I am using an Aquaknight A029 with white at 10% and blue at 40%
Without knowing the par of your lights or the levels in the tank they came from, it’s hard to say on the lights.

It’s likely they are just getting settled, and that can take a few days.

Goey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing the par of your lights or the levels in the tank they came from, it’s hard to say on the lights.

It’s likely they are just getting settled, and that can take a few days.
Okay that's kinda what I figured, any recommendations on a par meter? I don't have one, preferably one on the cheaper side

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used an aqua knight and i doubt those settings are too high. If it’s opening up for periods of time it will probably settle.

Goey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I used the Photone app and the PAR at the waters surface was 425, so I assume around the bottom of the tank its between 100-200 PAR, which is where all the rock flowers are

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I used the Photone app and the PAR at the waters surface was 425, so I assume around the bottom of the tank its between 100-200 PAR, which is where all the rock flowers are
I don’t think the light is too bright, but they might just be acclimating

Back