Ronnie's 120G @ the 1 year mark - AEFW infested

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I've had the 120 going for a year now. Several ups, along with some crushing downs (mostly AEFW).

Anyways, here are some shots of what, in a few weeks, my tank used to look like. I've decided the time is this month to tear it down and treat for the flatworms. Come hell or high water, I will start treatment this month.

Tyree Red Watermelon - recovering nicely from a near death experience when it fell into an acro 6 months ago. This thing was a speck, probably half the size of a pencil eraser after the fall:
IMG_3018.jpg

Tricolor Acro - finally coloring back up, but still far from its height of color and potential:
IMG_3048.jpg

Blue stag - centerpiece of the upper portion of the tank - much better looking sans AEFW:
IMG_3049.jpg

ATL Raspberry limeade - started as a small single branch frag (about 1") and growing nicely considering everything:
IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

ORA Red Planet - my favorite (or close to it) piece so far:
IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

ORA Cali Tort:
IMG_3061.jpg

Tyree Pink Lemonade - very nice coloring and growing well at the top of the reef:
IMG_3069.jpg

ORA Green Slimer - finally taking off after two years of slow growth:
IMG_3072.jpg

FTS:
IMG_3021.jpg

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I'm in the same boat but I'm losing my fight. What are your plans to finally be rid of the AEFWs?

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cycling a 40B and will transfer everything to it.

I'll be dipping them in Revive every three to four days initially, and then moving to once a week probably after a month or so.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning something similar but wasn't sure how often to dip. Has your red planet shown any signs of AEFWs? Mine seems unaffected and I'm debating whether or not to remove it. Your corals seem to be handling them better than mine, I do however also have red bugs:(. I've actually thought about taking down my tank.

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The RP hasn't shown any signs. Nor have several other pieces. I think the two wrasses I have are helping that.

Red bugs are easy compared to these little suckers - get some interceptor and treat for them first. Baste daily with a turkey baster and that will help knock them off. Hopefully you'll have a fish that eats them.

Not removing an acro would be a mistake, IMO. They will eventually get there. Gotta get 100% out to be successful.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh!So glad you posted this here since I cant visit that other site!!!Your tank looks awesome Ronnie even with AEFW!!!Good luck to you....

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem!Ill think you will be fine!You are a extremly talented reefer,Im sure you will beat the AEFW...

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I love the tank because you've got true colonies that are nice and big. Sorry to hear about the AEFW, here's hoping to your success in removing them 100 percent. Is that a green dig behind the coralline? You can't hide something that pretty! ;)

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning something similar but wasn't sure how often to dip. Has your red planet shown any signs of AEFWs? Mine seems unaffected and I'm debating whether or not to remove it. Your corals seem to be handling them better than mine, I do however also have red bugs:(. I've actually thought about taking down my tank.

Definitely dip it. I would recommend setting up a stock tank system, move everything into it. Luckily it was good timing for me. I was moving into a house and also had to conquer AEFW. I basically broke everything off of the rocks and put the corals on egg crate. I pulled and dipped ALL The acropora for about 4 straight months, at least twice per month. I am now AEFW free and ready to move into my new system.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that sucks you have AEFW. Will you be able to fit all of those in a 40? Are you going to let your big tank sit fallow for a couple of months?

CJ

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is actually a spongodes.

Here is a better shot of it:
IMG_3035.jpg

I have a very hard time reaching down that far to scrape - so it doesn't happen very often.

Get one of those easy scrapers that attaches to your magnetic cleaner. They do a great job and are much easier to use.

CJ

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The acros will be treated for a minimum of three months. The monti's will stay in, along with the birdsnest, zoas, etc. So it won't be completely empty, but it will be pretty bare.

The tank is acrylic - so I don't really like to use my magnetic scraper that much. It puts scratches in it just using it. I have a kent scraper and also use a credit card - both work pretty well. The stand is built 43" high (I'm tall and wanted something at eye level), and then I have 25" of tank. I also have a canopy on the tank, so I only have access through the doors.

Here is a shot of the tank when it was first installed (we moved the entire system in with 3" PVC to roll it into that spot):
15294_1274427334637_1048533754_6535.jpg

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great looking setup. It looks custom where you have it. And, yeah, you really don't want to use a razor blade on acrylic!

CJ

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't AEFW turn to other less desirable SPS if the pieces they prefer are removed? Might be best to treat "all" SPS if this is the case. I came across a thread about it awhile back and can't find it for the life of me right now.

Back