Rose BTA not looking Rosey

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this BTA for over 3-4 months now...well before I started placing frags around the tank.
Wanted the BTA to find it's "sweet spot"
Look beautiful up until a few days. It's been like that for the last few days and hasn't moved!
Rose BTA 1.jpg
Rose BTA.jpg

Only "major" difference I've done...switched from Brightwell salt to Red Sea Coral Pro!
I did target feed once or twice a week.
Nothing else seems upset...not even the clams
Clams.jpg

Tank parameters
Temp: 78-80 / SG: 1.024 / Ph: 7.9 - 8.1'sh
Alk: 7.3 / Ca: 314 / Mg: 1318
Issue with my DOS causing a drop in both Alk and Ca. Getting air in the lines.

Test Bi-weekly (Hanna)
Po4: (friday) 0.16 average 0.08 (lowered the amount of feeding and increase ATS lighting period)
No3: (friday) 14.8 average 7.98

I dose RedSea Reef Energy Plus AB+, phyto and MB7 with my weekly WC

Last edited:

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably adjusting to the salt change. Just keep an eye on it. They can get grumpy when chemistry is played around with.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bring the salinity up to 1.026. Why dose mb7? Tank is cycled. How old is the tank all together?

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 10 months figured since it's a "new" tank by dosing MB7 it would help me keep my parameters balance while the tank matured. I dose "Stable, Low-nutrient Systems" which is 5ml per 50g

Since day one, the clams have always been like that!
Clams are going on 4months.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Rodi? I would stop with the mb7 and stable. Not even sure what the second one does.

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup...use RODI since day 1 (7-Stage)
Sorry for the confusion, MB7 5ml per 50g is their instruction for "Stable, Low-nutrient Systems"

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system I keep alk between 8 and 9 and I keep my nitrate between 15 and 20. Nems seem to like it in that range. What type of lights and schedule are you using?

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you dosing bacteria and RedSea Reef Energy Plus AB+? Is there a specific coral that needs it? I don’t see wall to wall SPS. I don’t want to recommend you stop this but I don’t know why you are using it.

If it was just the BTA and clams then I would discontinue dosing and just maintain very good water quality. Do some larger water changes and keep your core parameters stable. Keep nitrate and phosphate a little higher as they like the water dirtier than SPS. I don’t think the BTA has an infection. Just needs better tank husbandry to bring it back out.

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments!
Will discontinue the use of MB7 and AB+ and see what happens!

Note: I was adding MB7 with the thought of adding additional biological diversity.
Redsea Energy Plus AB+ was being dose as I've added a number of frags and seeking to better growth (faster) and colors!

Keep you posted on the progress!

OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the anemone spent the weekend moving around.
First time it done it since being introduces months ago.

Believe me, I'm not discounting your guys advice at all!
Especially since you all have way much more experience and thus the reason why I turn to the forum for guidance!
But it hard to understand why the anemone took a drastic turn taking into consideration I've change nothing in my routine since day 1...other than salt brand!

Started looking, analyzing and checking every aspect of my setup and routine...and I think I know what maybe wrong!
I've recently built a mixing station and used storage bins instead instead of "food safe storage containers"
I have a 7 stage RODI unit with a TDS meter which produce 0-1 TDS going into the bin.
Checked the RO water with a handheld TDS meter....62!!! I think both bins are leaching out something!

Will be sending off for an ICP test this week just to see what's going on and picking different bins this weekend!
Thinking of these bin as they are local!

Last edited:
OP
OP
um_fan5

um_fan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
I lost the BTA to power head...got sucked up during the night!
Clams haven't looked to hot either!!!
I did managed to picked up 2 new bins for my mixing station and got my results back from the ICP test.
Result before I switched to the new bins:
1623939345898.png

To an novice with an untrained eye like myself...it doesn't look too bad! Could be wrong??
Few trace element that I could raise!
But there are a few I'm unsure of, which I have in yellow-
AI - Alumium, Li - Lithium, Rb - Rubidium, Si - Silicon, U - Uranium

Tank is 2 months from being 1yr and I haven't seen that "explosion" of coralline nor any real significant growth in any of my frags!

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Reefer4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be the light. I have a 20 gal tank that had a viparspectra on it. I tweaked it using a par meter to avoid burning anything. Still, corals were fading away, only minuscule traces of coraline here and there. After an icp test showing that the water was fine, I replaced the light with two AI primes. Problem solved. Even dead frags of cyphastrea that appeared to have died are coming back to life.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't had coraline growing, it's time to really look at your parameters closely. The fact that your nemmies and clams are mad at you they are telling you something. It might be time to test a couple times a day for a few days to see what your trends look like.

Back