Rose BTA: Stuck in back corner in tank

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So in my 16 gallon tank my Rose BTA has been in the back corner of my tank between the aquascape and the glass for a few days now and it seems to just be hangin out there. Its not attached to any substrate just floating there. I really want her to find a place on the rocks but have had no success. The water flow also moves her around so even if she did get by a rocky area, it doesn't give her enough time to grab before she is off again.

Any suggestion?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn of flow and let ' her ' find footings/ grab hold of a place it likes.

I assume it may get churned up and cause alot more problems.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think its a "her" because she is pink lol but who am I to say....I turned off the flow but she is not moving as that corner was a dead zone for circulation. Will she move on her own or do I need to give her a gentle push or place her on a rocky ledge?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting hands on shouldn't happen unless removing for treatment. The more you mess with it, the higher the stress level. Tank age? Parameters? Lighting being used? More than likely your issue lies in the answer to these questions rather than flow.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for the color scheme but you can see that it looks like she is trying to grab ahold of the back of the tank.

Attachments

• D0547F24-C842-404D-B85D-48B9AF52071F.jpeg
    D0547F24-C842-404D-B85D-48B9AF52071F.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 57
  • 41E516BB-3004-4DC2-A66B-84ED7ED92CE8.jpeg
    41E516BB-3004-4DC2-A66B-84ED7ED92CE8.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 53

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the color scheme but you can see that it looks like she is trying to grab ahold of the back of the tank.
Take some white light photos please. Blues hide clues.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting hands on shouldn't happen unless removing for treatment. The more you mess with it, the higher the stress level. Tank age? Parameters? Lighting being used? More than likely your issue lies in the answer to these questions rather than flow.
Yeah I dont want to touch her either and jet her do her thing.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 6CB562F1-26AC-48AD-9E13-28BEE8B088F8.jpeg
    6CB562F1-26AC-48AD-9E13-28BEE8B088F8.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 56
  • A2FBE49D-0995-4025-9CE6-7392DAED5A1F.jpeg
    A2FBE49D-0995-4025-9CE6-7392DAED5A1F.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 51

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your threads I can see that this is a brand new tank. The only solution here is to return the anemone if so. I'm not being mean, it just has little to no chance at survival.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your threads I can see that this is a brand new tank. The only solution here is to return the anemone if so. I'm not being mean, it just has little to no chance at survival.
Really? Please elaborate.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone while very hardy animals have some requirements. A mature tank, I recommend 9 months give or take. Strong lighting, mine sit right under a kessil 360 at 95%. Last is stable parameters in the ranges of 10 nitrate, .05 phosphate, 8.5 alk.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly trying to find its place in aquriam, they will move to suit Thier best needs, not for your needs if that makes sense.
I want to ask what if any wavemakers/ flow you have in your aquarium?
If possible turn these if or down.

I have jaebo/ that have night mode. It automatically turns off flow to minimize current at night? Do you have something similar?

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone while very hardy animals have some requirements. A mature tank, I recommend 9 months give or take. Strong lighting, mine sit right under a kessil 360 at 95%. Last is stable parameters in the ranges of 10 nitrate, .05 phosphate, 8.5 alk.

Yeah my tank is only over a month and a half old and just added some live stock about 2 weeks ago (cycled my tank in 3 weeks). I test every week and my parameters are really good, as per my LFS. I also just upgrade my lights to Reef Breeders' Nano LED, but honestly still trying to figure oy the light %.

Nitrate= 13
Phosphate=1.4
pH= 8

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly trying to find its place in aquriam, they will move to suit Thier best needs, not for your needs if that makes sense.
I want to ask what if any wavemakers/ flow you have in your aquarium?
If possible turn these if or down.

I have jaebo/ that have night mode. It automatically turns off flow to minimize current at night? Do you have something similar?

It makes total sense and yes I do have a wavemaker/flow. I turned them off a little while ago. No mine are not that techy lol.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my tank is only over a month and a half old and just added some live stock about 2 weeks ago (cycled my tank in 3 weeks). I test every week and my parameters are really good, as per my LFS. I also just upgrade my lights to Reef Breeders' Nano LED, but honestly still trying to figure oy the light %.

Nitrate= 13
Phosphate=1.4
pH= 8
Lighting and parameters aren't going to help this situation in 99% of occasions. Anemone need grandma's house, not an operating room. You can roll the dice as many others do, however I'd be trying to get my money back.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's no bta.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

So in my 16 gallon tank my Rose BTA has been in the back corner of my tank between the aquascape and the glass for a few days now and it seems to just be hangin out there. Its not attached to any substrate just floating there. I really want her to find a place on the rocks but have had no success. The water flow also moves her around so even if she did get by a rocky area, it doesn't give her enough time to grab before she is off again.

Any suggestion?
This is likely a long tip and not Bubble anemone

factors affectings this will be:
Immature tank
Improper acclimation
Too much water flow

Anemone care requires a bit of work to keep these creatures healthy and theyre not recommended for first-time aquarists. Having thorough knowledge about these animals is a must as they are sensitive to water changes and require prime conditions to stay in good shape. Failing to meet their needs can result in early death and damage to the tank environment as a whole.
The most important thing you’ll need to do is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place a Anemone into a tank you just set up.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the closed environment cycle for a few months. This assures that conditions are stable and safe. Water should be on the alkali side as well so monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be safe range at all times using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
  • Phosphate < .04 - .06
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists soon find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These anemones enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.

OP
OP
L

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely a long tip and not Bubble anemone

factors affectings this will be:
Immature tank
Improper acclimation
Too much water flow

Anemone care requires a bit of work to keep these creatures healthy and theyre not recommended for first-time aquarists. Having thorough knowledge about these animals is a must as they are sensitive to water changes and require prime conditions to stay in good shape. Failing to meet their needs can result in early death and damage to the tank environment as a whole.
The most important thing you’ll need to do is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place a Anemone into a tank you just set up.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the closed environment cycle for a few months. This assures that conditions are stable and safe. Water should be on the alkali side as well so monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be safe range at all times using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
  • Phosphate < .04 - .06
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists soon find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These anemones enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.
Thank you for the correction and the lecture! Really informative.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back