Rose Bubble Tip not... Bubble Tipping??

DisneyMatt10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Quick question for you. Many many months ago I bought a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone... Once it found a home and anchored it's self to the rocks it's been doing really well!! It is nearly quadrupled in size. It looks big, happy, and... healthy?? Maybe?

My question is, I've noticed the past 3(ish) weeks, it's tentacles are no longer the nice short, round bubble tip shape. Instead they are long and narrow looking. Almost like a long tentacle anemone. From what I've researched they do this a lot when they are hungry. . . However, we've been feeding it about half in sized silver sides at least twice a week (because it keeps eating them!) And it's showing no signs of going back to "bubble tipping."

Any advice on what could be causing this, or what I may be doing wrong??

Thanks,
~Matt

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A case for the x-files lol
With mine I noticed it was very bubbly while small but once it got to be a decent size it stopped showing the bubbles. Not sure if that's always the case but I can't say I've seen any large ones that still bulb at the tips.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of those will loose their bubbles in tanks unfortunately.

mrbncal

Old guy ...new hangout.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I always fed mine daily. Small amounts of frozen scallop that I shaved off into thin quarter size pieces. I would feed a couple of those nightly when I fed the fish. I never experienced the "un-bubbled" long tentacle issue. I realize that is hear-say info but just thought I would pass that along. I never fed silver sides or anything with a skeleton for that matter because I read something somewhere long ago on one of these boards that said it would require more energy to digest and expel fish (silversides, unshelled krill or shrimp, etc.) than a softer food source. This guy used and recommended scallops so I tried it and everything loved it. I would freeze them in wax paper and press as flat as possible to make slicing easier once frozen. Every now and then, I would squirt mysis at them for variety. I always figured small amounts more frequently would be better. Some days the "nem" would let the meal go so I figured they were "full" and I would not feed for a day or two. Then I'd reduce the amount that i fed for a couple weeks. Can't say if that's the secret or not. Just my $.02, good luck.

mrbncal

Old guy ...new hangout.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a couple of images. This one was about five years in the tank when the pic was taken.

bth_2010_0318ReefTank0276.jpg

deepbanner3.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no rhyme or reason behind the bubbles. I've had some bubbles for several years, so they don't all lose their bubbles.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back