OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile since I've updated, and my last posts were removed so I can pursue a patent. There probably wont be a ton more in the near future because I'm just letting my tank mature. I'm so eager for coral, but I need to have patience, and to be a collector.

The control panel is up and works like a charm. Rocker switches are the cherry on top of all of this effort to make maintenance easy, and they really are. I can't put enough emphasis on how easy, time saving, and a reduction to effort it is to turn anything and everything off with a switch.

I haven't come up with a proper label solution for it yet, but will eventually. I've been working very hard on this tank for a very long time. Time to enjoy, let the tank mature, and get ready for corals.

20191123_144112.jpg
20191123_144302.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I turned up my LED lights to 50% for a few weeks to see if my system was ready to handle the increased lighting. I ended up with another algae bloom. I fought the algae for about a week before turning the lights back down. During that week, my chaeto fuge pretty much disintegrated. I turned the lights back down and within a week, all is good again
20191201_140537.jpg

This got me thinking... man that algae is powerful. Ironically I've also been seeing commercials on TV for BP utilizing algae as energy. So I decided to ditch the chaeto and go ATS. I really wanted to go all out from the get-go, but I thought it would be wise to build a smaller version first for testing.

I had a H380 horticulture light, a spare Sicce pump, plexiglass, and some 1/2" fittings on hand.

Meet the water slide ATS version 1.

20191201_140409.jpg

20191201_140416.jpg

The little bit of algae that's on there is what I could scrounge up from around the sump. Let's see how it does!

Last edited:

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting setup with the ATS; it seems like it'll likely work for your purposes and is a great idea to keep cleaning simple. Sorry about the chaeto regardless - I've been having the same issues myself. Very frustrating.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting setup with the ATS; it seems like it'll likely work for your purposes and is a great idea to keep cleaning simple. Sorry about the chaeto regardless - I've been having the same issues myself. Very frustrating.
It was pretty incredible to see healthly and growing chaeto completely wiped out so fast. And it's okay, this is the exact reason I don't have corals yet. This is the biggest system I've ever owned. I also don't plan on feeding less either. I would like to feed more if anything. It's going to take time to find balance.

If this "slide" style works, I have plans for a "shelf" style ATS with the slide concept. The idea is to keep the screens as clean as possible, so ease of removal and cleaning is key.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was pretty incredible to see healthly and growing chaeto completely wiped out so fast. And it's okay, this is the exact reason I don't have corals yet. This is the biggest system I've ever owned. I also don't plan on feeding less either. I would like to feed more if anything. It's going to take time to find balance.

If this "slide" style works, I have plans for a "shelf" style ATS with the slide concept. The idea is to keep the screens as clean as possible, so ease of removal and cleaning is key.
I'm always having trouble getting the smaller algae clusters out of my fuge, even with a net, and it seems the slide is an elegant solution. I can't see in the picture, do you have it fed off a manifold? Shutting off the flow would make scraping the slides immensely easier.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always having trouble getting the smaller algae clusters out of my fuge, even with a net, and it seems the slide is an elegant solution. I can't see in the picture, do you have it fed off a manifold? Shutting off the flow would make scraping the slides immensely easier.
Everything in my tank has it's own independent pump, wired to a rocker switch. Since I haven't "programmed" my AWC yet, I stole the pump and plumbing for the drain pump to supply the ATS for now. I can turn the ATS off and on with a flick of a switch from the control panel :)

Here's a little bit better explanation of my current setup.

Slide1.PNG

If this works well, this of my idea (rough sketch) for a "shelved water slide" ATS.
Shelves.PNG

To take it even further. I was thinking of running design v2 on multiple timers and always have a section of the ATS on at different times

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Definitely seems like you have all the key bases covered and it'll all be really easy to clean, especially with the removable "shelving" style. Very cool and thanks for the diagrams :D

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the people I've talked to that run, or have run an ATS, say sizing and photo period are key. The most common theme I've come across is that these things can easily be oversized resulting in nutrients being too low. I know there's going to be an initial phase, and I need to wait until that's over to start measuring and tuning. I'll think about v2 after that.

Hopefully the bit of chaeto I have left hangs on too, because ideally I'd like to run both. I have heard that ATS can cause some significant PH swings. Thus the reason I mentioned a multi on/off staged ATS. We shall see

I also have to say that starting with dry rock is definitly more of a challenge than the old days. There's potentially a time when I wont need the ATS as all.

Last edited:

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did I miss something in the 18 pages. A patent for what.

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok then you will update use/me so I can see it. Was it the auto frozen fish food feeder. Those things are expensive. Thanks for the response an I wish I wish I could do what you have doe I wish I wish
Great tank an job. God speed

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back