Round 2

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah... Some of y'all might remember me. Nearly a year ago I think? Well both my clowns got brook. How they got it? No clue... Nothing was added after. The yasha and camel shrimp passed nearly 2 weeks later. I did a 50% water change after the clowns passed. The params were perfect... Since we were supposed to change houses, I decided to just tear the tank down and start later... Guess what. The contractor screwed us over and over and we are getting the house only by June. Bad news for the family, good news as it's more time for me to prep.

So here's where the fun part begins. I'm going in again. Planning on selling the 13.5 and building my own tank. Where I live, it's cheaper to do so. The 13.5 can cover the costs of building a 20 Long. We have a 90g that houses a RES and we plan on tearing it down. It currently runs 2 canisters... Each rated for 75gallons but id like to approximate it at 65 give or take... I plan on taking one of those canisters and using it for the 20 gallon. My lfs said it's good and negates the need for a sump since I'm going to be running a (meant for a) 30g HOB and an ~65g canister. I plan on lavishing a little for lights since I plan on keeping nems eventually (If i find a clown i.e). I won't however do the mistake of using brand new rock and I will get rocks from an established tank, along with the rocks that were in mine. I plan on reusing the sand as it made a 3inch sandbed in 13.5 and here it should give me around 1.5 which I don't mind. The only fish I plan on keeping is a Clarkii. The occy and perc left a sour taste and I don't plan on getting em again. If I can't get a clarkii, I plan on a YWG, 2 bangaiis and a firefish Or a kamohara/tailspot blenny. After all this... I have a couple questions. How do i avoid what happened my first time around? What went wrong? Are my stocking choices ok for a 20g? Will I need a protein skimmer on top of all this filtration?

I wanted to update y'all since I went cold turkey a while ago... Sorry guys. It's awesome to be back again :D

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back! I'll let others talk about how to avoid brook ( #fishmedic ), but I will suggest that you can get by without a protein skimmer with your proposed system. If you are concerned then increase the volume and frequency of your water changes as well as being consistent with water testing. Good luck!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, welcome back... :)
best way to not bring in disease is Qt all new additions
also be sure to rinse you're old sand before using in new system...:)

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, welcome back... :)
best way to not bring in disease is Qt all new additions
also be sure to rinse you're old sand before using in new system...:)
One hundred percent... I will deffo clean it up. The tank, equipment and sand and rock are all sitting dry in my bathroom as of now. And I have learnt from my mistake... I will work on a qt tank this time around!

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! I'll let others talk about how to avoid brook ( #fishmedic ), but I will suggest that you can get by without a protein skimmer with your proposed system. If you are concerned then increase the volume and frequency of your water changes as well as being consistent with water testing. Good luck!
Thank you! Im relieved to hear that I wont be needing a skimmer. Again, thank you for your insight!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20 gallon is small, I would suggest 2-3 small fish for that size tank. I would add one, then wait a month to add another, then wait a month to add another. Let the tank adjust to each new addition.

Going too fast is really the number one biggest error for new hobbyists. There are no disadvantages to going slow.

I have a 15 and a 20 gallon, both have no skimmers or any type of mechanical filtration, just rocks, powerheads, and weekly water changes, thats all thats needed for such a small tank. IMO.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah... Some of y'all might remember me. Nearly a year ago I think? Well both my clowns got brook. How they got it? No clue... Nothing was added after. The yasha and camel shrimp passed nearly 2 weeks later. I did a 50% water change after the clowns passed. The params were perfect... Since we were supposed to change houses, I decided to just tear the tank down and start later... Guess what. The contractor screwed us over and over and we are getting the house only by June. Bad news for the family, good news as it's more time for me to prep.

So here's where the fun part begins. I'm going in again. Planning on selling the 13.5 and building my own tank. Where I live, it's cheaper to do so. The 13.5 can cover the costs of building a 20 Long. We have a 90g that houses a RES and we plan on tearing it down. It currently runs 2 canisters... Each rated for 75gallons but id like to approximate it at 65 give or take... I plan on taking one of those canisters and using it for the 20 gallon. My lfs said it's good and negates the need for a sump since I'm going to be running a (meant for a) 30g HOB and an ~65g canister. I plan on lavishing a little for lights since I plan on keeping nems eventually (If i find a clown i.e). I won't however do the mistake of using brand new rock and I will get rocks from an established tank, along with the rocks that were in mine. I plan on reusing the sand as it made a 3inch sandbed in 13.5 and here it should give me around 1.5 which I don't mind. The only fish I plan on keeping is a Clarkii. The occy and perc left a sour taste and I don't plan on getting em again. If I can't get a clarkii, I plan on a YWG, 2 bangaiis and a firefish Or a kamohara/tailspot blenny. After all this... I have a couple questions. How do i avoid what happened my first time around? What went wrong? Are my stocking choices ok for a 20g? Will I need a protein skimmer on top of all this filtration?

I wanted to update y'all since I went cold turkey a while ago... Sorry guys. It's awesome to be back again :D

Welcome back to R2R! Sorry to hear of your contractor woes. Your location states “India.” If this is true, you may gain some consolation in knowing that the building industry here, in the US, is also marked by many shady characters.

Wishing you all the best with your new home and upcoming adventures in reefing!

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20 gallon is small, I would suggest 2-3 small fish for that size tank. I would add one, then wait a month to add another, then wait a month to add another. Let the tank adjust to each new addition.

Going too fast is really the number one biggest error for new hobbyists. There are no disadvantages to going slow.

I have a 15 and a 20 gallon, both have no skimmers or any type of mechanical filtration, just rocks, powerheads, and weekly water changes, thats all thats needed for such a small tank. IMO.
>A 20 gallon is small, I would suggest 2-3 small fish for that size tank. I would add one, then wait a month to add another, then wait a month to add another. Let the tank adjust to each new addition.
That is what I intend on doing. My yasha was the first to be added. Waited 2 weeks then the clowns came. Incase it wasnt clear in the main message, I plan on either going for a 1 fish setup or a 4 fish setup. The one fish will be a Clarkii. If I'm going with 4, It'll be (i) YWG (ii) 2 Banggais (iii) Blenny/Firefish. The YWG fir the bottom zone, Banggais doing banggai things and the firefish or blenny, whichever I end up getting, as the main display fish

>I have a 15 and a 20 gallon, both have no skimmers or any type of mechanical filtration, just rocks, powerheads, and weekly water changes, thats all thats needed for such a small tank. IMO.
I am a student and I will be a little busy and might miss out on a week in the long run. Thats why I want a canister running. Plus it provides a little peace of mind in the case I do end up missing out on a week of waterchanges. This is unlikely as my dad knows how to take care of a reeftank and will have my back. But, hey whats wrong with a little peace of mind heh?

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to R2R! Sorry to hear of your contractor woes. Your location states “India.” If this is true, you may gain some consolation in knowing that the building industry here, in the US, is also marked by many shady characters.

Wishing you all the best with your new home and upcoming adventures in reefing!
Thank you! And yes, contractors are shady and annoying everywhere... A friend of mine had their house delayed for 6 years. Worst part is, it still isnt done for them!

Thank you again, I cant wait to get started again! :D

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! And yes, contractors are shady and annoying everywhere... A friend of mine had their house delayed for 6 years. Worst part is, it still isnt done for them!

Thank you again, I cant wait to get started again! :D

6 years? Wow! They could have run over their contractor and been out of jail in a shorter amount of time!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One hundred percent... I will deffo clean it up. The tank, equipment and sand and rock are all sitting dry in my bathroom as of now. And I have learnt from my mistake... I will work on a qt tank this time around!

Welcome back!

Our current quarantine protocol is kept at the first page of this link:

The best way to avoid Brooklynella is to not buy wild caught clownfish, or any tank raised clowns that have been kept with wild clownfish.

Jay

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!

Our current quarantine protocol is kept at the first page of this link:

The best way to avoid Brooklynella is to not buy wild caught clownfish, or any tank raised clowns that have been kept with wild clownfish.

Jay
Hey Jay! I still remember you haha...

Wont be making that mistake again. Im going to get my fish from a different store this time. Ive heard good about these guys and they were my dad's LFS back in the day. We are really far away from them now, so not really our LFS now, but, pops trusts em with his soul and he has a solid track record with the same store for freshwater fish. The entirety of his 200g monster tank was livestock from em!

edit: All the fish from said store lived for a bare minimum of 3 years. This is what he said. So i'd like to trust those numbers :D

Vezos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey,
Its good seeing a fellow Indian. Being a contractor myself I feel bad for you. Also a single fish tanks seems kinda cool.

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!

First, as you are building your tank, is it possible to do a sump instead? I don't know if it's just me, but I feel the issues with detritus build up with a canister filter is more problematic down the line? Skimmer is needed most definitely.

Fish wise, a clarkii is about as aggressive as the come and would bully the firefish and cardinals in my opinion. But if you do insist on it, add the docile fish first.

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
Its good seeing a fellow Indian. Being a contractor myself I feel bad for you. Also a single fish tanks seems kinda cool.
Hello! Sorry for the late reply! Yes, just a clarkii sounds awesome!

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!

First, as you are building your tank, is it possible to do a sump instead? I don't know if it's just me, but I feel the issues with detritus build up with a canister filter is more problematic down the line? Skimmer is needed most definitely.

Fish wise, a clarkii is about as aggressive as the come and would bully the firefish and cardinals in my opinion. But if you do insist on it, add the docile fish first.
A sump is 200% not possible due to space and budgetary constraints. I will look into a sump down the line just not now.... Skimmer has been purchased and I cant wait to get everything set up and running!

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, update:

I have discovered a place where fish tanks are cheaper than fish... I have decided to throw the 20 gal idea. Will be going for a 30 and a pair of maroon clowns :D

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, update:

I have discovered a place where fish tanks are cheaper than fish... I have decided to throw the 20 gal idea. Will be going for a 30 and a pair of maroon clowns :D
Best of luck!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back