Royal Gramma discoloration and disease

Nathan Peel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Royal Gramma in my nuvo 20. It eats like a champ and swims around actively for a royal gramma.

I noticed some discoloration around the face of the fish. I'm worried it is Brook or flukes. It looks like there is something on the fish. It's sort of white in color, but it's really hard to get a picture.

Can anyone tell me for sure?

I think I'm going to try to give it a freshwater dip just in case. I've successfully treated clownfish with Brook using only a freshwater dip.

By the way, I have a clownfish in the tank as well. The clownfish has been in there for almost two years now.

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated!

20220603_135315.jpg 20220603_135421.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Royal Gramma in my nuvo 20. It eats like a champ and swims around actively for a royal gramma.
I noticed some discoloration around the face of the fish. I'm worried it is Brook or flukes. It looks like there is something on the fish. It's sort of white in color, but it's really hard to get a picture.

Can anyone tell me for sure?

I think I'm going to try to give it a freshwater dip just in case. I've successfully treated clownfish with Brook using only a freshwater dip.

By the way, I have a clownfish in the tank as well. The clownfish has been in there for almost two years now.

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated!

20220603_135315.jpg 20220603_135421.jpg
Is the mark only on the fish’ left side, or is the some on the right side as well?
How long did this take to develop?
Jay

OP
OP
Nathan Peel

Nathan Peel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is the mark only on the fish’ left side, or is the some on the right side as well?
How long did this take to develop?
Jay
It's only on the left side. I just noticed it today. I've had the fish for 2 weeks now. I didn't notice anything like it yesterday.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only on the left side. I just noticed it today. I've had the fish for 2 weeks now. I didn't notice anything like it yesterday.
O.K., well that rules out HLLE. It might be the start of Brook, less likely to be flukes.
If you can catch the fish up without tearing it up, a FW dip might be warranted. However, in the absence of any other symptoms, you might wait a day or so.
Jay

OP
OP
Nathan Peel

Nathan Peel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., well that rules out HLLE. It might be the start of Brook, less likely to be flukes.
If you can catch the fish up without tearing it up, a FW dip might be warranted. However, in the absence of any other symptoms, you might wait a day or so.
Jay
Thank you. Yeah I think it's Brook. I'm gonna try to use a fish trap. I'll probably do a FW anyway. The fish keeps rubbing on the sand bed as well.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Yeah I think it's Brook. I'm gonna try to use a fish trap. I'll probably do a FW anyway. The fish keeps rubbing on the sand bed as well.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

The rubbing can be a sign of flukes. I'd try the dip then....

Jay

OP
OP
Nathan Peel

Nathan Peel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been dipping the royal gramma in freshwater for 4 minutes everyday for the past three days.
It's really hard to say if it's getting better. Behavior wise, I'd say the fish is acting normal for being kept in fish trap. It eats a lot and swims around.
The freshwater dips cause it to be shocked for about 15-30 minutes. After that it is back to normal.
I really want to let him out of the trap. I wish I could put him in a QT tank, but I don't have one at the moment.
I'm wondering if the disease is gone and has just left a wound? Or maybe a scar. I'm not sure.
It no longer looks like the fish has anything on it. It just looks like discoloration. I don't see any "itching" behavior. Although, that might be because he's in the trap.
I'm going to keep him in the trap for now. I'll inspect him again tomorrow and see how he looks. If it still looks the same, I'll do another dip. After that point, I'll let him out and see if he heals.
If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know!
Thank you!

#fishmedic

20220607_123223.jpg 20220607_123428.jpg 20220607_123426.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been dipping the royal gramma in freshwater for 4 minutes everyday for the past three days.
It's really hard to say if it's getting better. Behavior wise, I'd say the fish is acting normal for being kept in fish trap. It eats a lot and swims around.
The freshwater dips cause it to be shocked for about 15-30 minutes. After that it is back to normal.
I really want to let him out of the trap. I wish I could put him in a QT tank, but I don't have one at the moment.
I'm wondering if the disease is gone and has just left a wound? Or maybe a scar. I'm not sure.
It no longer looks like the fish has anything on it. It just looks like discoloration. I don't see any "itching" behavior. Although, that might be because he's in the trap.
I'm going to keep him in the trap for now. I'll inspect him again tomorrow and see how he looks. If it still looks the same, I'll do another dip. After that point, I'll let him out and see if he heals.
If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know!
Thank you!

#fishmedic

20220607_123223.jpg 20220607_123428.jpg 20220607_123426.jpg

I would not give FW dips on consecutive days like that. The idea behind a FW dip is to buy you some time and to screen for Neobenedenia flukes. A single dip will accomplish that. Additional dips only serve to stress the fish...unless you are using the dips to buy even MORE time, and then, you would re-dip after 7 to 10 days, to kill off new flukes that may have hatched from eggs.

Generally - let's say a fish has gill flukes (like gramma often do). You give it one 5 minute FW dip. These flukes are too small to see in the dip water. However, after three days or so, if you see an improvement in the fish, you can pretty much deduce it is flukes. Then, you start a comprehensive treatment - either hyposalinity or praziquantel.

Jay

OP
OP
Nathan Peel

Nathan Peel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not give FW dips on consecutive days like that. The idea behind a FW dip is to buy you some time and to screen for Neobenedenia flukes. A single dip will accomplish that. Additional dips only serve to stress the fish...unless you are using the dips to buy even MORE time, and then, you would re-dip after 7 to 10 days, to kill off new flukes that may have hatched from eggs.

Generally - let's say a fish has gill flukes (like gramma often do). You give it one 5 minute FW dip. These flukes are too small to see in the dip water. However, after three days or so, if you see an improvement in the fish, you can pretty much deduce it is flukes. Then, you start a comprehensive treatment - either hyposalinity or praziquantel.

Jay
I did not know that. Thank you for correcting me. I just ordered some prazipro. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Nathan Peel

Nathan Peel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to update on this thread in case anyone else reads it. My Royal Gramma made a swift recovery after using the prazipro. It is now the king of my 50 gallon cube. I haven’t seen any signs of Flukes!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back