Royal Gramma help??

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this normal behavior? Fish spending time upside down.

C0A787DB-CE93-41FE-9141-D0C67F146624.jpeg

OP
OP
tescalante

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no.
Anything else funny in your tank?
Any other signs of weirdness?
Other fish?
What are your water parameters?

I have a clown who is acting perfectly normal. He is territorial and the gramma was having a hard time finding his place in the tank. The gramma seemed fine yesterday when i turned the lights off for the day to see if the fish could find a new spot in the tank. This is where he settled, and away from where he was hiding before. His feeding seems to be hit and miss. Parameters were normal just a couple days ago.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At night time, sure they will be in all kinds of funky positions. During the day, no they should be fairly normal.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upside-down isn't normal for most fish ... but for royal grammas, it is.

They're more likely to orient themselves toward the nearest rock or other structure, so if they're in a cave, they may well swim upside-down near the ceiling, for example.

~B.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upside-down isn't normal for most fish ... but for royal grammas, it is.

They're more likely to orient themselves toward the nearest rock or other structure, so if they're in a cave, they may well swim upside-down near the ceiling, for example.

~B.

Especially if they are digging or in their burrow. They are strange swimmers, depending on mood.

OP
OP
tescalante

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a strange fish, been hiding in strange spots, and in odd positions. Seems to be okay, only concern haven't seen him feeding but he'll be swimming around just fine in the middle of the night.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine spends much time in a hole in angled positions

OP
OP
tescalante

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: My gramma disappeared for 4 days, thought he was a goner. Tested ammonia for a spike and nothing.
So this morning during feeding he just pop outs from a rock, what the heck!! It does look like is tail fin got partially eaten, but he seems to be in okay shape, good color, swimming fine. Of course he went back into hiding but I can see him now, but not able to get a photo. Will his fin grow back, and should I take any precautions?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a new normal. Nothing to worry about. Enjoy

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said your clown is picking on him? Byway to remove the clown into a breeder box or another tank for a few days and then add back. May help let the RG get comfy
UPDATE: My gramma disappeared for 4 days, thought he was a goner. Tested ammonia for a spike and nothing.
So this morning during feeding he just pop outs from a rock, what the heck!! It does look like is tail fin got partially eaten, but he seems to be in okay shape, good color, swimming fine. Of course he went back into hiding but I can see him now, but not able to get a photo. Will his fin grow back, and should I take any precautions?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back