Royal Gramma or Red Firefish in Reefer 200xl?

Pearse73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title asks, what are people's opinions?
I'm not planning an extensive or exotic stocking list for my first reef tank. Two Occellaris clowns (my niece begged me to put them in, I'm getting soft in my older years.),
Suntail goby, Banggaii Cardinal and likely a possum wrasse (maybe pink streaked wrasse).
Most of my research seems to point to issues with the Gramma and Firefish together in a tank this size.
So......... What do you experienced reef keepers think?

OP
OP
P

Pearse73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't have a problem. You can have both
I've seen many tank threads with both but usually larger tanks than the one I'm setting up.
I was wary about the two fish together even though I'm planning space in the rock work. My idea was that two distinct rock areas would reduce potential conflicts.
You've given me even more food for thought now. ;Bookworm

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many tank threads with both but usually larger tanks than the one I'm setting up.
I was wary about the two fish together even though I'm planning space in the rock work. My idea was that two distinct rock areas would reduce potential conflicts.
You've given me even more food for thought now. ;Bookworm

We have them together at work with no issue. Firefish are as peaceful as I have never seen or heard of royal grammas causing problems.

OP
OP
P

Pearse73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have them together at work with no issue. Firefish are as peaceful as I have never seen or heard of royal grammas causing problems.
Thanks for that. You read so many conflicting reports, it can be a bit overwhelming at times.
I like both fish. I will now consider having both and not getting a cardinal. The Banggaii was just an alternative to the Gramma basically.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very different behavior between the two. The Gramma will stay in the rocks most of the time and the filefish will hover near the rocks.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back