Royal Gramma Rubbing on Rocks

Twotoedsloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I noticed today that my Royal Gramma has started occasionally rubbing itself on the rock from time to time. I don’t see any noticeable spots or anything so I don’t think it’s ich. But I don’t know anything really.

I think maybe flukes, but I thought I would check on here and see. It’s a new behavior that I haven’t seen out of it in the 9 months it’s been in the tank. And I haven’t added anything new is several months.

I just wanted to check before I make a move.

Thanks

here's a video

IMG_1388.jpeg IMG_1387.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1389.mov
    33.1 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey everyone, I noticed today that my Royal Gramma has started occasionally rubbing itself on the rock from time to time. I don’t see any noticeable spots or anything so I don’t think it’s ich. But I don’t know anything really.

I think maybe flukes, but I thought I would check on here and see. It’s a new behavior that I haven’t seen out of it in the 9 months it’s been in the tank. And I haven’t added anything new is several months.

Thanks

here's a video

Keep an eye on fish and water quality. Grammas and other basslets often do this twitching. I see no signs of elevated breathing or flashing/darting symptoms. I say water as the fish seems to have tail rot in lieu of aggression/nipping. Often can be due to poor water quality or bacterial.
If you want to safeguard the fish, you can use Ruby Rally Pro which is reef safe for inverts and coral to assure its not bacterial but still test and monitor water quality - Dont let Ruby Rally substitute need for water change

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

here's a video

I also see some cloudiness and damage to the tail fin. How often does the scratching happen? If more than a few times a day, I would say it has flukes. Fluke infections can go months at low levels, but then fluke populations can rise, causing symptoms to develop.

Prazipro is mostly reef safe. You could dose it with GOOD aeration, twice, 8 days apart.

Jay

OP
OP
Twotoedsloth

Twotoedsloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also see some cloudiness and damage to the tail fin. How often does the scratching happen? If more than a few times a day, I would say it has flukes. Fluke infections can go months at low levels, but then fluke populations can rise, causing symptoms to develop.

Prazipro is mostly reef safe. You could dose it with GOOD aeration, twice, 8 days apart.

Jay
Thanks,

It just started rubbing yesterday afternoon.

The tail is much longer than it seems in the pics and vid. I haven’t noticed any changes to its tail or fins since putting it in there 9 months ago. But if prazi doesn’t change anything I’ll try something for the fin rot vetteguy suggested.

OP
OP
Twotoedsloth

Twotoedsloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keep an eye on fish and water quality. Grammas and other basslets often do this twitching. I see no signs of elevated breathing or flashing/darting symptoms. I say water as the fish seems to have tail rot in lieu of aggression/nipping. Often can be due to poor water quality or bacterial.
If you want to safeguard the fish, you can use Ruby Rally Pro which is reef safe for inverts and coral to assure its not bacterial but still test and monitor water quality - Dont let Ruby Rally substitute need for water change
Thanks for the info. My water parameters have been pretty stable for months and I do 10% water changes every Sunday, so I’m not sure what else I can do on that front. But I’m going to go see if my LFS has some Ruby Rally and see if that makes any difference.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI - if it is flukes, Rally will not do much, if anything for it.

Jay

OP
OP
Twotoedsloth

Twotoedsloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I'm going to try PraziPro first. I have that on hand. If there's no improvement then I might try Rally. Here's hoping!

Thanks
James
Update: it has stopped eating now as well. Still rubs on the rock periodically and hasn’t eaten the last two feedings. Ate like normal yesterday morning. But now it won’t touch anything….

Going to start PraziPro this afternoon
Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twotoedsloth

Twotoedsloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update.

Seems there is a lot more going on here…. Is that ich?

Did a treatment of PraziPro, and it’s not rubbing against the rocks anymore, but then this afternoon it looks like this… and still didn’t eat today…

Sadness

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update.

Seems there is a lot more going on here…. Is that ich?

Did a treatment of PraziPro, and it’s not rubbing against the rocks anymore, but then this afternoon it looks like this… and still didn’t eat today…

Sadness

I see you have two threads with the same fish? That gets really confusing.....

Jay

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back