RR Ultimate OP

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine looks nothing like the one @wish posted.

Mine looks exactly like this pic @bubbaque posted though?

Here is the mother colony I got mine from.

RR ultimate.jpeg

wish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually have a window behind my tank and it’s on a chalice dome from Alternative reef. I need to block the window with plywood.
I will take a naked picture with just a flash.
Wow!!! @wish that's one nice shot, looks like a full moon and the coral is on a small island on a bright blue water.;Woot

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine looks nothing like the one @wish posted.

Mine looks exactly like this pic @bubbaque posted though?

There's sadly more than one "Ultimate" now. The one most people drool over is NOT from any major retailer like RR, or SC, it's a no name wild variant of OP Tenuis that looked really good, got called ultimate.

RR Asia, RR Canada, neither of these are the true "Ultimate" OP, there just above average wild OP'ish tenuis that were found wild.

This isn't a bad thing -- But the true lineage of OP is long gone, or hard to prove.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's sadly more than one "Ultimate" now. The one most people drool over is NOT from any major retailer like RR, or SC, it's a no name wild variant of OP Tenuis that looked really good, got called ultimate.

RR Asia, RR Canada, neither of these are the true "Ultimate" OP, there just above average wild OP'ish tenuis that were found wild.

This isn't a bad thing -- But the true lineage of OP is long gone, or hard to prove.
Ahhh ok. That makes sense then. Thanks Rakie :)

goodtogo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said Rakie! It’s very hard to prove. In my opinion, if a another colony comes in whatever the name, you should call it the 2.0 version or something else.

It all boils down to this: if you like how the coral looks, just buy it. Don’t buy a coral because of the name.

wish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well said Rakie! It’s very hard to prove. In my opinion, if a another colony comes in whatever the name, you should call it the 2.0 version or something else.

It all boils down to this: if you like how the coral looks, just buy it. Don’t buy a coral because of the name.

I purchased my frag from shipwreckcove and it was a special order around 2 years ago going on 3yrs. I had to pay $500 for an inch. Yes a agree there are a lot of amazing corals coming in that are amazing colors and seem. I agree if you like it and the price buy it. The only proof anybody really have is its pict with what lights used. I have a bunch of no names because I love the colors too.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ok. That makes sense then. Thanks Rakie :)

Yeah, it's kind of a disturbing trend in this hobby. I think all three Reef Rafts officially have their own "ultimate" OP, all three different wild variants that were similar to OP but slightly nicer, so they were dubbed "ultimate" OP, because "ultimate" sells better than "variant #2" :D

Not to hijack the thread -- But not long ago I posted a PC superman I had, and people were quick to point out that it wasn't a PC Superman. Now, frankly, i had't seen one different than mine until they pointed it out. I have the same one multiple retailers sell as PC superman, but it has more pointed tips than some PC Superman tables. A slightly more milli looking table, but still a table... Really surprised me, I actually hadn't seen any that looked different than mine in my area, or online -- But seeing that first hand, even with multiple quality retailers showing the same coral as a PC Superman shows how easily things in this hobby can get murky.

This is why in Freshwater, people don't like to use common names. Not as easy with corals... But when I say bumblebee cichlid, which fish do you imagine? I could be talking about a dozen different african cichlids from any of the 3 lakes, I could be talking about tilapia from the river deltas in africa or madagascar, I could be talking about south american rams and geos. Practically anything.

In that light -- I think a good first step for people in this hobby would be to better identify the species of Acros by physical phenotypes. "Bottle brush", "Table", "Mili", "Tenuis", "Tort". They all have a unique look. I think if this information was pushed on the beginning of SPS information there would be less fakes and frauds going around.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I felt my ultimate OP looked “off” - so after speaking with my source it appears I was not sent an ultimate OP, but a coral called MattV Psycho Asylum? I couldn’t find this acro much. But based on the one pic I could find I see it’s correct. My polyps are red with only orange at the tip.

Partly my mistake. The invoice does in fact say the MattV coral, I had requested the ultimate OP but I guess they didn’t have it so this was their replacement.

These designer tenuis are going to drive me crazy... My apologies to the confusion!

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we learn so much by sharing information. I find it fascinating even with our best efforts to track lineage and keep our own records perfect, it is still challenging. I know that if I don't label a frag plug, I find it difficult to tell many frags apart. On top of that, frags morph adding to confusion.

I was in Toronto about a couple years back. I was able to have some corals shipped home. I had a chance to see Reef Raft Canada's Ultimate Orange Passion mother colony as well as other mother colonies in their store. Here is a picture of my frag from January 2016 of Reef Raft Ultimate Orange Passion:

Here is a metal halide only picture of it much earlier last year:

And here is a picture of that frag two years from initial frag in my tank, January 2018:

Up until this thread, the only other picture that I have seen was posted by AJ Tsin a couple years ago of his frag. This last picture undoubtedly had my reefbrites on. It is a pretty tenuis but like most other tenuis that are so popular today, it shines best under blue leds. I will try and take an updated metal halide picture to share. My RRC Ultimate OP has slowly morphed its colors as well. Lastly, like many of the rainbow tenuis, there is a vastly different appearance between either metal halide or sps ab+ versus blue leds. Frankly, for a rainbow tenuis this is pretty colorful under metal halides, relatively speaking of course. When I saw the mother colony at Reef Raft Canada in Toronto, I thought it was not particularly stunning but I didn't know if I would have a chance to purchase a frag again.

I did not know there were so many "ultimate" corals with such similar sounding names.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we learn so much by sharing information. I find it fascinating even with our best efforts to track lineage and keep our own records perfect, it is still challenging. I know that if I don't label a frag plug, I find it difficult to tell many frags apart. On top of that, frags morph adding to confusion.

I was in Toronto about a couple years back. I was able to have some corals shipped home. I had a chance to see Reef Raft Canada's Ultimate Orange Passion mother colony as well as other mother colonies in their store. Here is a picture of my frag from January 2016 of Reef Raft Ultimate Orange Passion:

Here is a metal halide only picture of it much earlier last year:

And here is a picture of that frag two years from initial frag in my tank, January 2018:

Up until this thread, the only other picture that I have seen was posted by AJ Tsin a couple years ago of his frag. This last picture undoubtedly had my reefbrites on. It is a pretty tenuis but like most other tenuis that are so popular today, it shines best under blue leds. I will try and take an updated metal halide picture to share. My RRC Ultimate OP has slowly morphed its colors as well. Lastly, like many of the rainbow tenuis, there is a vastly different appearance between either metal halide or sps ab+ versus blue leds. Frankly, for a rainbow tenuis this is pretty colorful under metal halides, relatively speaking of course. When I saw the mother colony at Reef Raft Canada in Toronto, I thought it was not particularly stunning but I didn't know if I would have a chance to purchase a frag again.

I did not know there were so many "ultimate" corals with such similar sounding names.
Very well said. Information like this is invaluable to us all.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, how much for a frag? I can’t find it on your website
I haven't posted it yet. But given when I paid for the colony won't be cheap lol. :( Probably around $200 for a regular size frag, $300 for a larger.

edit: for clarity, this is for the MattV Psycho Asylum

wish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't posted it yet. But given when I paid for the colony won't be cheap lol. :( Probably around $200 for a regular size frag, $300 for a larger.

edit: for clarity, this is for the MattV Psycho Asylum

Thanks for the info everyone has posted bc there isn't a lot of info on RRUOP
and yeah would like to get a frag of Matt V when you have one!

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I felt my ultimate OP looked “off” - so after speaking with my source it appears I was not sent an ultimate OP, but a coral called MattV Psycho Asylum? I couldn’t find this acro much. But based on the one pic I could find I see it’s correct. My polyps are red with only orange at the tip.

Partly my mistake. The invoice does in fact say the MattV coral, I had requested the ultimate OP but I guess they didn’t have it so this was their replacement.

These designer tenuis are going to drive me crazy... My apologies to the confusion!
really ? what vendor sent you a colony of Matt V Psycho Asylum ? if possible can you verify that they ACTUALLY Got it from Matt V ? and also how long ago was this ?

the one thing i like about Matts corals is that they are single point origin and can easily be tracked back to where they came from ...

can you share a pic of your colony ?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really ? what vendor sent you a colony of Matt V Psycho Asylum ? if possible can you verify that they ACTUALLY Got it from Matt V ? and also how long ago was this ?

the one thing i like about Matts corals is that they are single point origin and can easily be tracked back to where they came from ...

can you share a pic of your colony ?
The source is an sps wholesale aquaculture business run by an acquaintance. Sells named SPS colonies and frags from many various named acro vendors, buys them all directly, grows them out, etc. They only buy directly from the named source, so I would trust it is from MattV.

Hagios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bringing this one back for updates and recent pics. Please differentiate in your pics between RRC or RRA UOP. Thanks!

This is RRC UOP pic taken around mid Jan 2021.
20210122_122654.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back