RS 650 Peninsula SPS build

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to document my progress on what I'm hoping is my long term tank. It's been in the works for a while now and is just now coming to fruition. Prelude: started about 8 years ago with a 29gal Biocube, then it was a 55gal long, 90gal corner, 30gal cube, 45gal lagoon. I've learned a lot along the way but I have to laugh at how much I'm still learning even after these tanks (some are still setup).

My main goal with this tank is shameless SPS dominate tank, mostly being acros. I've always loved the look of peninsula tanks and so I bought this tank from another local reefer and it's sat in storage for nearly a year and now it's going up. It's a Red Sea 650 which is about 140gal. At this point the tank is up and wet but none of the sump plumbing is done. I figured I would start the cycling process long before I'm ready and it will give me time to work on the sump slowly.

Flow: 2 MP40s and 1 gyre on the end.
Lighting: jury is still out but either Orphek or Neptune Sky's
Refugium: yep
Dosing: two part (for now, may end up going calcium reactor when the demand picks up)
Sand: yep (I just can't not do sand, and I'm prepared for sand storms)

Special features:
- Custom built a light bar that could probably hang dozens of these lights :)
- Building a custom step cabinet on the opposite side for kids to stand on.
- 3D print all the things!

Looking forward to getting some fish in there to start. I have several in a few QT tanks at the moment. Some photos coming here soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not neat and tidy but in time :)

IMG_1018 2.jpeg
IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg
IMG_1021.jpeg
IMG_1022.jpeg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good. this is the best time of experiencing a tank if you ask me. Every time i setup a tank, the curiosity goes out of the roof in the first days. The barren look, the excitement.. oh my :)
congrats. keep us posted

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! Following!!

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend I 3D printed all the mounts for my Orphek lights along with custom printed spacers with diffuser panels. Makes such a difference basically eliminating the disco ball.
IMG_1041.jpeg
IMG_1045.jpeg
IMG_1043.jpeg
IMG_1042.jpeg

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man! How's the cycle coming?
Thanks! So far I've seeded the tank from some established live rock and it's just a waiting period at this point. I currently have 6 fish in QT, but waiting another 2-3 weeks for that to wrap up before any fish are added.

I see you purchased this tank used. Does the stand have the additional supports that come on the new version of RS tanks?
I'm not sure! Maybe I'll snap a photo of the inside and you could tell me :) This would be a great time to add supports if it needs it, was that an issue for the old ones?

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you ever determined which version you bought, and if you set yours up with any support in the middle of the stand to help prevent the sometimes documented "sag" that some of the larger Red Sea systems may have.

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to finally get things mostly setup. Still needs some cable organization but I was able to:
  • Get the sump plumbed
  • UV sterilizer plumbed (still needs tuning)
  • Most electrical stuff working
  • Some fish out of QT and in the tank
  • Water change station installed
  • Mesh cover built
I see you purchased this tank used. Does the stand have the additional supports that come on the new version of RS tanks?
Curious if you ever determined which version you bought, and if you set yours up with any support in the middle of the stand to help prevent the sometimes documented "sag" that some of the larger Red Sea systems may have.
Take a look at the photos, I'm not sure what I'm looking for but there are supports under the stand. I'm curious to know if this is the newer version.

Also, I was able to get a par meter and the diffusers take about a 20-30% hit on par when installed, but in my case that's good enough for me and the disco effect drives me crazy so it's a worthwhile trade.

Attachments

• IMG_1104.jpeg
    IMG_1104.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1103.jpeg
    IMG_1103.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1102.jpeg
    IMG_1102.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1101.jpeg
    IMG_1101.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1100.jpeg
    IMG_1100.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1098.jpeg
    IMG_1098.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1097.jpeg
    IMG_1097.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 66

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice. I am attaching a picture of a 650 I recently looked to get that has the new corner support, looks like an extra strip of black silicone in a triangle shape on the inside corner. I am also attaching a pic of where you should find the manufacture date of at least the stand. Also, here is a link to the additional support in case you want to verify if you have it: https://www.redseafish.com/support/spare-parts/spare-parts/r42394

Hope this info helps!

Attachments

• corner.JPG
    corner.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 55
  • serialnumber.JPG
    serialnumber.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice. I am attaching a picture of a 650 I recently looked to get that has the new corner support, looks like an extra strip of black silicone in a triangle shape on the inside corner. I am also attaching a pic of where you should find the manufacture date of at least the stand. Also, here is a link to the additional support in case you want to verify if you have it: https://www.redseafish.com/support/spare-parts/spare-parts/r42394

Hope this info helps!

Thanks for the help! I can confirm my stand does not include this retrofit part. I sent a request to Red Sea since it looks like they provide these parts free of charge. Also I don't have the armored edges on the glass, it's just straight silicon to the glass. I appreciate you looking out!

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, just make sure the tank is good and level to prevent any extra weight distribution than normal. There are some other things you can do that I have read about, but there is no gaurantee you will even ever have an issue. The brace will help tremendously too.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back