RS Reefer 425XL Plumbing (v3)

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve searched for the answer to this question with no luck, sorry if I missed it.

i recently ordered a RS Reefer 425XL that has yet to be delivered. I’m planning some mods to the plumbing but I can’t seem to find the size of the drain pipe. I would like to replace the adjustment valve with a gate valve, I just need to know the size. Anyone know?

thank you

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know everything is in metric, but don't have the size. Why are you changing the valve? I am planning the same tank.

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve searched for the answer to this question with no luck, sorry if I missed it.

i recently ordered a RS Reefer 425XL that has yet to be delivered. I’m planning some mods to the plumbing but I can’t seem to find the size of the drain pipe. I would like to replace the adjustment valve with a gate valve, I just need to know the size. Anyone know?

thank you
I remember seeing a thread about this same thing just recently. I believe they listed the part numbers that you will need from Red Sea as well to adapt to standard size fittings...I'll look...

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, 32mm drain pipe equals about 1.26 inches. Would a 1.25 inch gate valve fit on the stock drain pipe? Seems like a non measurable difference.

Does anyone know if the stock adjustment valve screws off the drain pipe?

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know everything is in metric, but don't have the size. Why are you changing the valve? I am planning the same tank.
I'm planning on switching out the adjustment valve on the main drain to a gate valve. Looks like the main drain pipe is 32mm, basically 1 1/4 inch...... 1 1/4 inch equals 31.75mm.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people using the part that reduces the 32mm to 1 inch.... that restricts the flow from about 1600gph to around 975gph. I wonder if that would cause in issue with how the main drain works?

Reydin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got done removing the diaphragm valve and installed a gate valve on my new 425xl. I ordered a 32mm gate valve from R&R Products. Don't buy 32mm unions from the. One side measured 32mm and the other side was 33mm. I couldn't use it so I order two 32mm unions, 32mm 90 degree and a piece of straight pipe from Amazon. I took the original pipe and cut the 90 degree off that is on the valve side on the horizontal side. I then cut that horizontal pipe in half and put a union in there. I took the pipe that i bought and used it to extend the horizontal pipe a bit longer because cutting of the 90 made it a bit too short. I install the new 90. I cut the old valve off of the vertical pipe as close as I could get to the valve as you will need to reuse it. I installed the gate valve by using an small piece of old pvc pipe and connected it to the 90 and gate valve. I then measured a few inches down from the gate valve and cut another piece of pipe and installed the 2nd union and then used the remaining pipe to extend the drain down into the sump. It works great. I did do all this with my tank full of water. I wanted to get it done prior but I didn't get all the parts in time. I'll add pictures later.

Reydin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some pictures of my gate valve modification.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some pictures of my gate valve modification.
Thank you for the detailed explanation and pictures. Can I ask you to post a picture of your plumbing before the mod?

What return pump are you using?

Which gate valve did you end up using? The link you posted showed several different variations.

Last edited:

Reydin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the detailed explanation and pictures. Can I ask you to post a picture of your plumbing before the mod?

What return pump are you using?

Which gate valve did you end up using? The link you posted showed several different variations.
I bought this one but you can buy the cheaper one. I don't have any pictures of the plumbing before but it would look similar to the pictures that I posted except where the gate valve is, is where the diaphragm valve used to be. This post has some pictures on it. Be sure to measure the stock pipe before you cut other wise you can't use the stock bracket pipe holder. Also, test fit it before you glue the pieces together. The picture below is the the diaphragm after I cut it out. You can see how close I got to the joints. As for my return pump, I'm using this.

v2.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back