Need some help installing gate valve on Red Sea MAX S-650

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add a gate valve but I've been getting mixed information on the size of the gate valve and coupler I need. I talked to BRS and they said I would need a DN32 coupler (32mm to 1") and a 1" Spears gate valve.

Does anyone with a MAX S-650 have any experience in this and know which is the right fittings to get?

I put a picture below and circled the pipe I want to put it on.

SbPwUAHg.jpeg

I'm not trying to replace the gate valve that comes with the red sea. I plan on just fully opening the red sea valve and using the gate valve to control the flow instead.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DN32 is correct, it will get you to 1” standard plumbing. From there you can put any gate valve you choose.

32mm is the stock plumbing size for Red Sea systems
Ok thanks! I looked at the packaging right now and noticed that BRS sent me DN25's instead of the DN32s.. Sadly the DN32s are out of stock on BRS so I'm going to have to run to an LFS that's over an hour away from me to get them tomorrow. D:

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the DN32s but they don't fit on the pipe? The DN32 is the same size as the pipe so it won't slip on. Am I missing a piece? I don't know anything about plumbing so I'm not sure how to proceed.

dwatspdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the DN32s but they don't fit on the pipe? The DN32 is the same size as the pipe so it won't slip on. Am I missing a piece? I don't know anything about plumbing so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Kiran, any update on this? I am trying to do the same thing right now with my Max-S 650 and I want to make sure I order the right parts.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kiran, any update on this? I am trying to do the same thing right now with my Max-S 650 and I want to make sure I order the right parts.
Honestly I'm still a little confused but I think I got it.

I had to get the DN40 couplers instead of the DN32 everyone suggested because after taking it to a couple people it obviously wasn't going to work.

I bought 2x DN40 couplers, a 1 1/4” Spears Gate Valve and some 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe to connect it all.

If I were you I'd contact BRS just to double check but I have a feeling they'll point you towards the DN32s. I would just buy both sizes and whichever size doesn't fit just return it back to BRS.

You probably already know this (I didn't so I'm throwing it out there) but go with the schedule 80 fittings for the couplers and valve and get schedule 40 for the PVC pipe.

dwatspdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'm still a little confused but I think I got it.

I had to get the DN40 couplers instead of the DN32 everyone suggested because after taking it to a couple people it obviously wasn't going to work.

I bought 2x DN40 couplers, a 1 1/4” Spears Gate Valve and some 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe to connect it all.

If I were you I'd contact BRS just to double check but I have a feeling they'll point you towards the DN32s. I would just buy both sizes and whichever size doesn't fit just return it back to BRS.

You probably already know this (I didn't so I'm throwing it out there) but go with the schedule 80 fittings for the couplers and valve and get schedule 40 for the PVC pipe.

I will order both to be safe. I appreciate your help out. I will call BRS and pick there brain also.

Rob3D2018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how @dwatspdx and @kiran ended up with the plumbing modification...

I will be ordering my 650 next month and I plan to do the same mod as you guys did with your system. So, did you end up using DN40 couplers? How is the mod working out?

Cheers!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is late to this thread but have you considered a dc smart pump to control the flow instead ???

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will be ordering my 650 next month and I plan to do the same mod as you guys did with your system. So, did you end up using DN40 couplers? How is the mod working out?

Cheers!
Yeah, DN40 was the one that fit. Not sure why both Red Sea and BRS support said DN32, but that size definitely and obviously won't fit (DN32 was almost smaller then the downpipe itself). I don't know if BRS is dealing with outdated information (which is understandable since they're just middle-men), but the fact red sea did not know what coupler to get was pretty frustrating.

I took my downpipe to my local LFS that works a lot with Red Sea tanks, as well as a local reefer buddy of mine, and they both said to get the DN40 and use some schedule 40 pipes to plumb it all together.

Also, save yourself a big headache and follow the manual they have online on their website. The paperback version the S-650 comes with is outdated and will leave you scratching your head.

Last edited:

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, DN40 was the one that fit. Not sure why both Red Sea and BRS support said DN32, but that size definitely and obviously won't fit (DN32 was almost smaller then the downpipe itself). I don't know if BRS is dealing with outdated information (which is understandable since they're just middle-men), but the fact red sea did not know what coupler to get was pretty frustrating.

I took my downpipe to my local LFS that works a lot with Red Sea tanks, as well as a local reefer buddy of mine, and they both said to get the DN40 and use some schedule 40 pipes to plumb it all together.

Also, save yourself a big headache and follow the manual they have online on their website. The paperback version the S-650 comes with is outdated and will leave you scratching your head.

RS plumbing is typically 32mm, the conversion to standard is usually 32mm (DN32) to 1". Seems like they either changed this all together or you got an atypical setup. When did you purchase it? I wonder if it was during supply shortages and they used what they had?

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS plumbing is typically 32mm, the conversion to standard is usually 32mm (DN32) to 1". Seems like they either changed this all together or you got an atypical setup. When did you purchase it? I wonder if it was during supply shortages and they used what they had?
I placed the order towards the end of December 2021 around Christmas and received it the first week of January 2022.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Max-S 650 is also larger. 32mm is normal for the reefer tanks I believe. The Max tanks are different. 40mm sounds about right.

dwatspdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers!

Sorry for the late reply. I ordered the parts but have not picked them up yet from my LFS. I did upgrade the return pump to a Ecotech L2 and I plan on upgrading the circulation pumps next.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back