RTV liquid gasket for overflow bulkheads?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pygo1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

pygo1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2020
Messages
118
Reaction score
61
Location
Orange county, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just bought a secondhand tank and am in the process of leak testing. The tank seals are ever so slightly worn, but it holds water just fine. However, the overflow box had a slow drip overnight and I could see it was coming from the bulkheads. I loosened them up and found that there are no gaskets installed. Just plastic on glass. I have no clue how this guy was able to run the tank like this lol. I tried to remove the whole thing, but I’m pretty sure the union below it is glued on, so I’ll likely have to cut it and replace everything, UNLESS, I can use one of those liquid gasket products and seal around it. Once installed, I have no plans of replacing/removing pipe, so I can go really overkill on the sealant if required.

But, I’ll see what kind of bulkheads and other fittings I have available at work before I go that route. Just wondering if it’s an option

IMG_4367.jpeg IMG_4368.jpeg
 
Aquarium grade silicone would be the only one I can think of that would work long term with no chance of leaching chemicals into the water
 
Aquarium grade silicone would be the only one I can think of that would work long term with no chance of leaching chemicals into the water
I got some gasket rubber from work, so im going to cut out some gaskets and try fitting them on. Im hoping the Threads were just stuck on that union and that it’s not actually glued, but I’ll find out in a bit when I get home.

As for the silicone, it seems like quite a few people say not to do it. But then again plenty of people also say go for it lol
 
In your second picture I would expect the gasket to be on the flange side of the bulkhead, double check to make sure there is one there? I'd personally just clean the gaskets and tighten them down then check for leaks.
 
Update: it’s there and I’m just a dummy. I wasn’t able to see or feel it when I initially checked. Once I got home from work, I checked again and it was all good. Tightened it back up and it’s holding just fine now.
 
I always replace the bulkheads on used tank. Small price to pay for pretty important part of the tank
 
I always replace the bulkheads on used tank. Small price to pay for pretty important part of the tank
Not a bad idea, I’ve been considering it myself. I’d need to repipe basically everything since it’s all glued, but security’s never a bad thing!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new