Rubber bands not fish safe!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my 20+ years, I can safely say that is also a first for me. WOW. Back when I had my big tank and BIG tangs (8-10 inch), they were terrible about ripping the whole sheet and making a mess. they were had fed, but this trick also works in clips. I made a little video years ago. I used to also have a VERY large SOHAL in this tank who was the worst.

basically using scissors to cut the nori into strips was totally the best idea for my fish. Gosh i miss these little devils.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Wideyed a tangkini? like the mankini Borat wore but for fish.

1604698292710.jpeg

how’s the purple tang? back to his old self?

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always used rubber bands also as I made my own magnet seaweed holder with a plastic tube.
I had a sailfin tang for 15 years that did eat a few rubber bands and pass them through the years. Then all of a sudden the sailfin stopped eating. There was nothing else wrong with him. I kept telling my daughter I bet he ate a rubber band and it got stuck.
Sadly he did end up dying. My daughter wanted to know for sure so she cut him open and sure enough there was a rubber band in him. I really miss that fish he had a lot of personality.
I still can't figure out how yours got one around it like that.
I have a blue tang in this same tank with the purple and he ate and defecated a rubber band years ago. For this reason, I had always removed rubber bands that came loose in the tank. But this one was hidden somewhere, when this happened.

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is how the rubber band ended up lose in the tank and tangled with the tang, lol!
85B2C977-64BB-4FD4-BDD2-755585241C80.jpeg

I basically roll a tight cigar full of different healthy goodies, some seen in the picture for example.Vitamins and garlic solutions help to moisten the mixture, and makes Nori sheet easier to roll and avoids tearing, especially when new, fresh and crispy.
Then I rubber band it to a T shaped molded anchor, I made out of reef putty, with a cord attached to it.
01DA67FD-2CE2-403D-A2FA-1F73A54E552B.jpeg

Here it is, being seen through the aquarium glass, attentive fish cause they know what is in my hand!
FCC0708B-3302-4CF3-8D22-6E4AB07FD5FD.jpeg

Here they are sharing and taking turns at La Piñata, cigar or whatever else you wanna call it, lol. Note the lower rear fin of purple tang, showing a little damage from rubber band but nothing that won’t repair soon. Just remember, if they take the tasty rubber band off. Make sure you remove from tank right away. I posted this on DIY for more info. “Fish Piñata”.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is how the rubber band ended up lose in the tank and tangled with the tang, lol!
85B2C977-64BB-4FD4-BDD2-755585241C80.jpeg

I basically roll a tight cigar full of different healthy goodies, some seen in the picture for example.Vitamins and garlic solutions help to moisten the mixture, and makes Nori sheet easier to roll and avoids tearing, especially when new, fresh and crispy.
Then I rubber band it to a T shaped molded anchor, I made out of reef putty, with a cord attached to it.
01DA67FD-2CE2-403D-A2FA-1F73A54E552B.jpeg

Here it is, being seen through the aquarium glass, attentive fish cause they know what is in my hand!
FCC0708B-3302-4CF3-8D22-6E4AB07FD5FD.jpeg

Here they are sharing and taking turns at La Piñata, cigar or whatever else you wanna call it, lol. Note the lower rear fin of purple tang, showing a little damage from rubber band but nothing that won’t repair soon. Just remember, if they take the tasty rubber band off. Make sure you remove from tank right away. I posted this on DIY for more info. “Fish Piñata”.
Please link your diy thread, I would like to see it

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is 2014.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back