Ruby finned fairy wrasse pair being weird

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So last night I picked up a male and female ruby finned fairy wrasse. I floated them for 20 mins then acclimated them to my tank for 30 to 40 mins. I put them in the display. (I don't have a qt rn due to my situation) the female was put swimming around for awhile until she found a little hole in a rock where she hid. The male almost immediately found a hole and seam into it. They both looked like there were breathing hard. I have read some stuff this am and don't know the difference between gilling and breathing hard.
I got up early this am to go to work and the female was out but not swimming she was on the sand bed upright and didn't seem to be breathing hard until I shined a light in the tank to get a better look. The male was in his cave still and didn't seem to be breathing real hard until I shined the light.
I read that wrasse stress easily and will take a few days to acclimate. Think I need to be worried or what are yo8r thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female being out but not swimming is concerning. If she is struggling she should be hiding like the male is.

Unless your tank is huge, I would recommend rehoming one. Fairy wrasses of the same species don't play well together in home aquaria over time.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The female being out but not swimming is concerning. If she is struggling she should be hiding like the male is.

Unless your tank is huge, I would recommend rehoming one. Fairy wrasses of the same species don't play well together in home aquaria over time.
So you think even if it's a pair they won't work out then?
Is it normal for fairy wrasse to stress out while first being introduced to a tank

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasses don't form bonded prs, so even if it's a male and female it is not a pr, even if it was sold as a pr.

It's pretty normal for fairy wrasses to be skittish the first few days.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal to be stressed out and hide a little for a few days but they usually hide in the rocks, they shouldn't be sitting on the bottom of the tank. And females tend to turn into males, and 2 males don't usually get along.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't add that after I looked at her she swam into the rocks and hid. Once I get home tonight I'll give an update. I'll rehome the female. What other flasher or fairies would work with the ruby finned male?

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to run an errand and stopped by my place. The female was out swimming and I fed the tank a some squid, the male darted out and ate a lot and the female is eating too.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20180118_203019.jpg
20180118_203145.jpg

Here is a pic of thorn doing well. I'm going to rehome the male.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back