Ruby head fairy wrasse in 45 gallon cube?

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ruby head fairy wrasse and it’s been doing great in there but I’m wondering if it will eventually get too big? My lfs gave me a really good discount on it that’s why I got it but I’d really like to keep him I just don’t know if he’ll be too big eventually for a 45. Thoughts? Picture is from a few weeks ago and not the best.
FA3BE918-CA32-4279-967D-13BAB550C43E.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eventually get pretty big. Somewhere in the standard 75 range is probably best.

Hunter's chart says 90 gallon for that complex.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man get him out, they are territorial like crazy and has killed 2 of my other wrasse. Now going after a chromis and bi Color blenny. Worst choice I've ever made

OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man get him out, they are territorial like crazy and has killed 2 of my other wrasse. Now going after a chromis and bi Color blenny. Worst choice I've ever made
He’s super friendly to all my fish no aggression at all

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really interesting, I have one in my 185gl with an Orangeback, Melanurus & 2 Flashers, he doesn't bother anybody. I must have gotten lucky.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really interesting, I have one in my 185gl with an Orangeback, Melanurus & 2 Flashers, he doesn't bother anybody. I must have gotten lucky.
I had a melunarus and solorensis both my favorite fish. Had em awhile I feel terrible. I much preferred the to the ruby if you know anyone looking to trade

OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eventually get pretty big. Somewhere in the standard 75 range is probably best.

Hunter's chart says 90 gallon for that complex.
Will he be okay in therefor a little while?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fast moving fish. 20 inches or so length of that cube is not anywhere long enough for him. Mine is about 5 inches and is the king of my tank. He really chase the Solon Fairy wrasse a lot too. No injury or anything like that but they really zip across my 6 foot tank.
CyanopleuraFairy2019082503.jpg

OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fast moving fish. 20 inches or so length of that cube is not anywhere long enough for him. Mine is about 5 inches and is the king of my tank. He really chase the Solon Fairy wrasse a lot too. No injury or anything like that but they really zip across my 6 foot tank.
CyanopleuraFairy2019082503.jpg
I might consider trading him in soon then. But he seems really happy right now! I would then only have a clownfish pair and a yellow and white coris wrasse. Any other fish that would work better for my tank?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not certain that there are any Flasher or Fairy wrasse that I would comfortably place in a 45 gal cube. When these fish display, they often zip along at a fast speed. Your tank is just too small for it. If you have a 40 gal breeder that is at least 36 inches long, smaller flasher and fairy would do fine but not in a 20 inch cube.

OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not certain that there are any Flasher or Fairy wrasse that I would comfortably place in a 45 gal cube. When these fish display, they often zip along at a fast speed. Your tank is just too small for it. If you have a 40 gal breeder that is at least 36 inches long, smaller flasher and fairy would do fine but not in a 20 inch cube.
It doesn’t have to be another wrasse just a good fish idea because I honesty don’t know and don’t want to make another mistake

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is pretty new with dead rock. I would really try to seeded it with some good LR and Live Sand first and let these mature. My favorite fishes for smallish tank like your are Yellowhead Jaw fish, Royal Gramma, Orchid dottyback, Shrimp goby and their shrimp, various Cardinals, various Firefish, Bassets.
Sky is the limit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is pretty new with dead rock. I would really try to seeded it with some good LR and Live Sand first and let these mature. My favorite fishes for smallish tank like your are Yellowhead Jaw fish, Royal Gramma, Orchid dottyback, Shrimp goby and their shrimp, various Cardinals, various Firefish, Bassets.
Sky is the limit.
My tank has been set up since the end of november and there is some live rock and I have live sand in there as well

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back