Ruby red fin swimming.. Odd.

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of days ago I posted about my new ruby red fin wrasse not really eating. I finally got it to eat, however today I see it.. Spinning, kind of. My kids mom said she saw it swimming just fine earlier, but I just saw it continously spinning. It looks normal otherwise, no bulges, nothing on its scales, etc. Not really sure what to do.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I’ve seen a number of cases of this issue, one in my own tanks. I’m not sure what the cause is....seems to be neurological, the fish may still feed, but they swim oddly sometimes with their tail curled, other times looping. It almost always is seen in new wrasses. Easy to just say cyanide poisoning from how the fish was captured - except the symptoms are often delayed, showing up after a week or two.
Jay

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I’ve seen a number of cases of this issue, one in my own tanks. I’m not sure what the cause is....seems to be neurological, the fish may still feed, but they swim oddly sometimes with their tail curled, other times looping. It almost always is seen in new wrasses. Easy to just say cyanide poisoning from how the fish was captured - except the symptoms are often delayed, showing up after a week or two.
Jay
Do the fish ever get better? Anything I should do?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ArchXIII how is your wrasse doing? Have a two week old McCoskers that started swimming odd today. It’s swimming with its right side angled down. And somewhat of a preference for only turning left. Only eats food to its left. Still eating fine and otherwise healthy looking.

it looks clearly neurological. Like a left hemisphere stroke.

Was swimming normal this morning. I didn’t see it crash in to side of tank attacking its mirror, but certainly possible.

Last edited:
Back