Rules on importing fish from province to province? (Canada)

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Canadians,

Does anyone have any experience on purchasing fish and/or corals from one province and bringing them to another province via flight?

I know shipping them might be easier but I thought if I had the chance to take a look at the fish/corals in person that I could skip the shipping fees if I bought them on the same day as my flight back.

thanks in advance!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe there are any restrictions on travelling with fish from province to province - other than CBSA might give you a funny look (try to skip the x-ray for the fish). :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na no issues moving/shipping live goods in Canada personally.

I bring fish and corals from the US into Canada all the time since I work cross border every week, plus I do declare everything and they have no issues as long as you bought from a store.

OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na no issues moving/shipping live goods in Canada personally.

I bring fish and corals from the US into Canada all the time since I work cross border every week, plus I do declare everything and they have no issues as long as you bought from a store.
That's good to hear! Is there anything special you need to do when you declare?

I was told somewhere that it's recommended to have the store write the scientific name of the fish you're purchasing on a receipt of some sort, but this was information related to freshwater fish and there wasn't much mention of corals.

The only other information I found on the forum was that certain corals require a permit to import from elsewhere, but there's not much info on domestic imports/exports..

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear! Is there anything special you need to do when you declare?

I was told somewhere that it's recommended to have the store write the scientific name of the fish you're purchasing on a receipt of some sort, but this was information related to freshwater fish and there wasn't much mention of corals.

The only other information I found on the forum was that certain corals require a permit to import from elsewhere, but there's not much info on domestic imports/exports..
No all you need is a receipt from the store stating what you've bought. As for corals it's the same thing, if bought from a store customs is fine with it. It's a little different if you're importing boxes of coral that obviously look like there to sell. As long as you declare everything you're fine and don't need a permit.

When I brought some Galaxy pods back from the United States they were not sure what they were and they looked it up under invertebrates and they were all good to bring into the country.

I have a friend that actually works at Canada Customs and he told me about people crossing with a whole bunch of fish, freshwater and Marine and basically they got busted because they were importing as the officer knew that there's no way with the variety of fish that it was for his own home.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back