running 2 returns instead of 1

jim881

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gang
I was going to run a single Abyzz A200 in my new 350 gallon build (96x30x28), but, for redundancy, I'm considering running x2 of something smaller ....possibly Red Dragon or x2 Vectra L2's ....a couple questions :
1. Does this seem like a good idea ?
2. Can I plumb it to run a dedicated line to each return , so, meaning, no T to speak of , just 2 lines (this will be flex at the pump, then PVC to return T Loc). ?
3. Is it safe to use a smaller pump ....for example, the Abyzz is rated at over 4000 gph , could I get away with to vectra MS's rated at just 2000 gph , or would I be better of going with something larger like 2 L2's ...either way, two of anything is basically less or the same as 1 Abyzz....and gives the redundancy that so many seem to suggest. ?

Thanks in advance !

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the answer is going to be people's opinions. I can give you mine but we need to understand that there are a variety of acceptable responses.

Having used dual return pumps in the past I have since stopped. Dual return pumps mean double the amount of pumps to clean, double the amount of plumbing to clean, and double the amount of plumbing to cause a leak. The KISS principle has led me to use a single return pump.

I also want us to consider how important the return pump really is. I recently had my stock RedSea sump crack. I turned the whole sump offline for 1 week and simply recirculated water in the tank with the powerheads. After a week I did a large water change, replumbed a new sump, and turned everything back on. I had no losses. In a well-established aquarium, the tank can run for a decent amount of time with no sump.

If you are concerned about redundancy then just keep a pump as a backup. A healthy tank can go quite a while with no sump.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 returns on 2 different circuits. I travel a lot and the redundancy has helped me. If I didn’t travel as much, one reliable pump would work for me.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've always used a high quality pump for a vital function like a return pump.
Since you are considering an Abyzz pump you are looking at one of the best in the hobby.
I would stay with that and split the return into 2 outlets.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Properly cared for your system will outlive your equipment so redundancy is a good thing. Especially with return pumps so when one quits (often at most inconvenient times) the other(s) will keep the system from crashing.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried two returns and they always seemed to work against each other. One seemed to work harder than the other and they were never in sync running at the same speed. So I run one now.

But I can see the appeal on a big system like 350 gal.

OP
OP
J

jim881

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 returns on 2 different circuits. I travel a lot and the redundancy has helped me. If I didn’t travel as much, one reliable pump would work for me.
Dwest
Thanks for the input...I travel quite a lot too , so thought the two pump route would be the way to go. Just curious, I was planning on to returns in the pump (TLOC) , so , i figure i can just run one pump to one and one pump to the other, with no T connection or manifold between the two.....? Will that work ? Also, Can I cut the flow in half (GPH) when selecting the pump ....

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmm I see there is some confusion. You should never run two returns on the same line…two return pumps with two unique return lines.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwest
Thanks for the input...I travel quite a lot too , so thought the two pump route would be the way to go. Just curious, I was planning on to returns in the pump (TLOC) , so , i figure i can just run one pump to one and one pump to the other, with no T connection or manifold between the two.....? Will that work ? Also, Can I cut the flow in half (GPH) when selecting the pump ....
You are welcome.

I‘m not 100% sure on the setup you are asking about. But my pumps each have their own dedicated return line from the sump to the tank. So I have two pumps, each with their own return line. You can set the flow of each to whatever you want. I have a basement sump with a couple old Danner mag drives. I might try jebao dcp’s if/when my mag drives die. People seem to like those.

As mentioned above, I would not use one return line for two pumps.

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have space to run 2 dedicated return lines, but I do have a spare return pump if the primary fails.

OP
OP
J

jim881

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Ended up going with x2 Vectra L2's . Each will be plumbed to its own return line, so there will be no T's or Y's or competing flow.
Happy to share some pics when the build out is complete.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same dillema and went with 2 rd230s on my 450 because one is used to feed a manifold + other equipment.

If you're not going to use a manifold then I don't see a big benefit in running 2 after doing it with something as reliable as a red dragon or abyzz.

mortimersnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On a tank that size I'd absolutely be running 2 return pumps. Cleaning pumps is fast and easy, especially if they're set up with unions. I've been really happy with my Reef Octopus Varios 6.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ended up going with x2 Vectra L2's
You'll want to put check valves on each pump because what is going to happen is when one stops the water will just back siphon through the other one into your return chamber. I run two simplicity 3200 pumps for returns on my 500 gallon. 1.5" returns lines out of each pump with 1.5" clear true union pvc swing check valves on each. These pumps are nice because they have 1.5" standard threads that the check valves thread right onto and have nice big intake screens also. Very easy to plumb. Unlike the vectra and neptune pumps that you need to use adapters on.

OP
OP
J

jim881

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to put check valves on each pump because what is going to happen is when one stops the water will just back siphon through the other one into your return chamber. I run two simplicity 3200 pumps for returns on my 500 gallon. 1.5" returns lines out of each pump with 1.5" clear true union pvc swing check valves on each. These pumps are nice because they have 1.5" standard threads that the check valves thread right onto and have nice big intake screens also. Very easy to plumb. Unlike the vectra and neptune pumps that you need to use adapters on.
Good advice , thx..will need to be 1 1/4 inch line for pump outputs .. but will def plan on adding checks

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back