Running all dosing through single line?

cubicfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering setting up a dosing system in the basement underneath my aquarium. I currently have my ATO setup downstairs with 1/4" PTFE tubing running through the wall pulling from a kalkwasser bucket. The setup has a second 1/4" line, not currently in use. The idea is to use that line to run all other dosing. Initially that would be calcium, alkalinity and RO water, with maybe phyto and amino acids added later. There would be a peristaltic pump for each connected to the main line with a check valve. After each chemical addition, I would flush with RO water. The hope is the water flush would keep the line clean. Is this a bad idea?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm considering setting up a dosing system in the basement underneath my aquarium. I currently have my ATO setup downstairs with 1/4" PTFE tubing running through the wall pulling from a kalkwasser bucket. The setup has a second 1/4" line, not currently in use. The idea is to use that line to run all other dosing. Initially that would be calcium, alkalinity and RO water, with maybe phyto and amino acids added later. There would be a peristaltic pump for each connected to the main line with a check valve. After each chemical addition, I would flush with RO water. The hope is the water flush would keep the line clean. Is this a bad idea?
With the amount of precipitation and needs for certain m/l quantities, I would be highly reluctant due to possible contamination despite flushing with ro water

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree asking for trouble one day, if not day one.. I would use dedicated lines, most people do for that reason given above, but experimentation is part of the fun in this hobby so I can't say don't do it!! give it a go, please show and tell!!

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose my All-for-Reef into my ATO line, but its pure RODI. My kalk is dosed with a separate line. I agree with the others, the fear of interactions and precipitant would keep me from trying multiple supplements through a single line.

I have considered the idea of a dosing loop. Picture a small high flow line, say 1/2" that comes off the return pump (or dedicated pump) with dosing lines teed into it. The loop line would return to the display (or sump). if you stager the dosing times there should be no intermixing of concentrated supplements. You could also have this line route through a feeding station in a small refrigerator for liquid/frozen foods.

OP
OP
C

cubicfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hunch is that the line itself would have stayed precipitation free as long as RODI water was pushed through after each dose but i can see where all the dosing lines come together problems arising. Perhaps Ill keep the alk and ca in aquarium stand and start this experiment with just phyto, aminos, and RODI sharing a line. I'll share the results if I get it up and running. Thanks for the input.

Reefolution

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend that at all. There will be lots of precipitation in the line and it will clog up really quickly.

Sal.A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad idea keep them all separate with their own line and dosing pump. Alk dosed separately at least an hour apart from Calcium

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back