Running skimmers with no pumps

Lifelongaquaria

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2018
Messages
254
Reaction score
117
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been wanting to try this for a long time. It occurred to me all the bubbles and pressure available directly from the offerflow should be able to run everything but the return pump if I approach it correctly. I Am currently running a skimmer directly off the overflow on a drilled 65 gal setup. If all goes as planned I will be taking the pump if all of my skimmers and running them directly off the overflow and running all my salt setups off only a return pump with exception of extremely high flow tanks which will be running circulation fans in addition to the one pump on my largest tank.

image.jpg
 
If I'm recalling correctly that was at least one of the intended installation methods for the big ETSS skimmers back in the day.....maybe others too. I don't recall seeing any installed like that, but I think I read about one or two.

Keep us posted with how this goes!! :)
 
I have never heard of or seen it done before but am not surprised. If it continues to work so well it will change the sump setup preference to skim mechanical filter, bio filter, chemical filter. Not sure my old Berlin has the volume for this mod but hope it does.
 
So ran test last night pound of pigmented salt a quart of vinegar and a couple drops of soap. Water was completely opaque when started before bed 2:00 am and was clear when I awoke at 7:30 am. As far as results go kicked the crap out of the pump. Whole system is more quiet and less power consumption not seeing any downsides so far.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new