Running skimmers with no pumps

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been wanting to try this for a long time. It occurred to me all the bubbles and pressure available directly from the offerflow should be able to run everything but the return pump if I approach it correctly. I Am currently running a skimmer directly off the overflow on a drilled 65 gal setup. If all goes as planned I will be taking the pump if all of my skimmers and running them directly off the overflow and running all my salt setups off only a return pump with exception of extremely high flow tanks which will be running circulation fans in addition to the one pump on my largest tank.

image.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm recalling correctly that was at least one of the intended installation methods for the big ETSS skimmers back in the day.....maybe others too. I don't recall seeing any installed like that, but I think I read about one or two.

Keep us posted with how this goes!! :)

OP
OP
Lifelongaquaria

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of or seen it done before but am not surprised. If it continues to work so well it will change the sump setup preference to skim mechanical filter, bio filter, chemical filter. Not sure my old Berlin has the volume for this mod but hope it does.

OP
OP
Lifelongaquaria

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ran test last night pound of pigmented salt a quart of vinegar and a couple drops of soap. Water was completely opaque when started before bed 2:00 am and was clear when I awoke at 7:30 am. As far as results go kicked the crap out of the pump. Whole system is more quiet and less power consumption not seeing any downsides so far.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back