Rusty angel doesnt appear to be eating

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 weeks ago I picked up a rusty angel and a tomini tang. For prob the 1st week after I bought them the angel would hide in the rockwork all the time. If it was out if I made any move it would dart right back to the rocks. I've tried pellets, mysis shrimp, krill, cut up scallops and I haven't seen it eat. It appears to still be the same size as when I bought it so I would assume it must be eating.

Is it possible that it's eating pods, bristle worms in the rockwork?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that it's eating pods, bristle worms in the rockwork?
Hopefully so, this is one those fish you don't see people successfully keep for 2 reasons; one is they come in with internal parasites frequently and people wait too long before treating or miss it altogether, and they can be difficult to get eating. Some fish really just don't recognize what you are feeding is food for them, this fish will graze; consuming micro algae, pods, and likely even bristleworms. If your tank is mature enough there may be enough to feed him while he gets accustomed and starts eating the food you are offering the tank. Live black worms and live brine shrimp can also help this fish out. They will eventually take to mysis and such, mix it in with the live brine or black worms; to trick him as sorts. If you see any stringy poo, cloudy eyes, lethargy, or faded color; these are some of the signs displayed by internal parasites.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this fish eat before reaching its tank? In general, it's not very difficult to make the genus Centropyge eat, but I would not rule out internal parasites either. Are the other fish eating well? The angels hide and stop feeding also when there is a level that is a bit high and they do not like it.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this fish eat before reaching its tank? In general, it's not very difficult to make the genus Centropyge eat, but I would not rule out internal parasites either. Are the other fish eating well? The angels hide and stop feeding also when there is a level that is a bit high and they do not like it.
All of my other fish eat without any problems, anything and everything I put in trying to get the angel to eat they're eating.

My tank is prob 7-8+ yrs old, I see lots of large pods in my sump so I assume they're in the tank also. Ive also has a scooter that doesn't take food from me so he's surviving on the pods in the tank.

I was concerned the angel may nip at a coral, I've never seen him even get close to one.

I would think after 3-4 weeks if he wasn't eating he would look thinner, he does not

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4 weeks is enough for the fish to be already skinny if it doesn't eat, so maybe you just have a more cryptic C. ferrugata. I had a multibarred angel that did not feed for 5 weeks and died, but the fish looked thin, I don't think that is your case, I suppose that this guy is feeding on pods or is feeding behind the rocks, anyway observe his feces and looking for white poop, this is not an absolute indication of internal parasites but it may be a sign.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't messed with brine shrimp in close to 20 yrs, so I don't really remember a whole lot about them. if I hatch them and dump them in the tank will they live and grow in the tank almost like pods do?

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about breeding brine shrimp, sorry, but I don't think it's possible for them to thrive inside the tank, their fish will feast and finish it fast.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many are caught from the Philippines, actually pretty much all of them are. I wouldn’t entirely rule out cyanide.

If you are willing to spend more but not too much I’d highly recommend a Biota Coral Beauty. Much more likely to eat and live.

As a rule of thumb personally I try to avoid Centropyge from Philippines and Indonesia.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many are caught from the Philippines, actually pretty much all of them are. I wouldn’t entirely rule out cyanide.

If you are willing to spend more but not too much I’d highly recommend a Biota Coral Beauty. Much more likely to eat and live.

As a rule of thumb personally I try to avoid Centropyge from Philippines and Indonesia.
Good data, exclusively would it be Centropyge?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure, but I did come across a study that tested for the presence of cyanide in Philippines fish and the Rusty Angel was found to be among the samples where a number of specimens contained levels of cyanide in their bodies. And of course I’m also speaking from other’s experiences. The deepwater angels like Colin’s, Multibar and Venusta which I assume are hard to catch and draw out may also be prime suspects for cyanide collection.

I know an LFS owner in Manila who gets fish both locally as well as traveling to wholesalers in Indonesia. His store is called TB Aquatic Pets, not sure if he still runs it. I actually wanted to ask him about the situation regarding cyanide these days. Maybe one of these days I will. He seemed like an honest guy.

If I had to guess many “show” fish including larger angels (like Regal, Emperor), Harlequin Tusks, Wrasses and some Tangs would be suspects too. I have come across a number of cases where people with their Philippines or Indonesia caught Harlequin Tusk went blind for no apparent reason over the course of a few months, then eventually dying.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy swims around like a normal fish, just very timid. He must be consuming something because he's the same size as he was about a month ago, I just never seen him eat.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update,

Haven't seen the guy in over a week, assumed that he died from not eating. Today when I was sitting on my sofa I see him swim out of the rocks and back in. Still looking that same as he has for several weeks. I fed the tank right after, he didn't cone out to get any food.

I picked up brine shrimp and spirulina but didn't hatch them after I thought he passed. Gueas that weekend I will start adding brine shrimp to the tank.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this boy is feeding on everything that is in his rocks, angels also sometimes feed on other fish feces, so there is some possibility, let him have fun inside your rocks.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back