Rusty, Half Black, Eibli Angels?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with the following kinds of dwarf angels? If so, how long have you kept them? Are they hardy? Reef safe? My LFS gets them in quite regularly along with the Coral Beauty.

They’re on the cheaper side for dwarf angels, as far as where I am, which means most are imported from Indonesia and the Philippines. Should I be worried about bad collection methods? Thanks.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen and used all three in either my tanks or service accounts.

The half-black and eiblii are nearly bulletproof hardy, but are also among the worst offenders for eating corals...like lemon peel. The Rusty is less common, but a good one.

Dwarf angels are all hardy, ime, except for bicolor and potter's...maybe some others.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The half-black and eiblii are nearly bulletproof hardy,

Interesting you say that ..... and I have heard the same. YET, the eibli has been a very temperamental fish for me. I'm 1 for 4 only.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you manage to keep those angels / how long did your clients manage to have them?
Somewhere in the order of several years. The rusty...I only kept one, and I think it died in the ice storm in 08 (give or take). I didn't have it that long, but I believe it to be very similar to the flames, which people keep for a long time.

According to WWM, the Coral Beauty’s a bit iffy.
That's a little silly. That fish is a staple in our hobby that people keep for a long long. Of course your location might change things a little. To call a coral beauty anything but hardy doesn't seem right.

Interesting you say that ..... and I have heard the same. YET, the eibli has been a very temperamental fish for me. I'm 1 for 4 only.
Bummer. And maybe things have changed in the last 10 years with that species. I do see seemingly healthy ones at my "Local" Petco. Lemonpeels are supposedly more finicky, and you have one of those. The other possible drawback to Eiblii is they get huge, for a dwarf angel, but that's probably what you want.

With your big and mature system with lots to eat, you should be able to drop basically any dwarf angel in there (besides bicolor and potter's), as long as you get a reasonably healthy one. I can never get a bicolor eating well enough to get through QT.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the four, I did get three through QT. Two got beaten to death before I could catch them. Third I gave away lest the same thing happen. Wierd, I know since I have both lemonpeel and potters that are supposed to be harder.

I’ve been looking for an established larger individual .... no luck so far.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen and used all three in either my tanks or service accounts.

The half-black and eiblii are nearly bulletproof hardy, but are also among the worst offenders for eating corals...like lemon peel. The Rusty is less common, but a good one.

Dwarf angels are all hardy, ime, except for bicolor and potter's...maybe some others.
I second this. my coral beauty had a bad case of ich. i added [email protected] to QT & raised level in 48hrs. never showed any signs of stress. took the treatment like a champ. i was on edge as i've read that angels don't take copper treatment well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the four, I did get three through QT. Two got beaten to death before I could catch them. Third I gave away lest the same thing happen. Wierd, I know since I have both lemonpeel and potters that are supposed to be harder.

I’ve been looking for an established larger individual .... no luck so far.

Getting a fish healthy enough to make it to the display only to be beaten up by tankmates is the worst feeling.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with the following kinds of dwarf angels? If so, how long have you kept them? Are they hardy? Reef safe? My LFS gets them in quite regularly along with the Coral Beauty.

They’re on the cheaper side for dwarf angels, as far as where I am, which means most are imported from Indonesia and the Philippines. Should I be worried about bad collection methods? Thanks.
Also anyone have experience with the fishers angel, I heard it’s from Hawaii buts store near me has had one for two weeks for $45.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eibli for 2 months now, and eats ravenous, anything I throw in the tank food wise, however nips at Kenya Tree once in awhile. No real damage since they are like a weed. Leaves the other softies and LPS alone. Coral Beauty 3.5 years. Leaves all coral alone.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Fisher’s for $45? Whoa.

I don’t know, it seems not many people have kept them but they are considered a dwarf-dwarf Angel in the same grouping as the Flameback, Cherub, Brazilian Flameback, Resplendent, and Pacific Pygmy.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish both of your angels a long and happy life in your system. How are they getting along? Do you know the source of your Coral Beauty (where it was collected). How big was it when you got it, how big is it now and has it struggled with disease or feeding? What about the Eibli?

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it.

My LFS seems to get in the Coral Beauties, Rusty’s, and Half Blacks most frequently. The specimens are usually 2-2.8” (5-7cm).

Would you say the Rusty’s hardier than the Coral Beauty?

My concern about the Coral Beauty is because Jay Hemdal says it’s a fragile fish and Bob Fenner of WWM says it’s “sometimes great, sometimes abysmal”. That’s all.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Fisher’s for $45? Whoa.

I don’t know, it seems not many people have kept them but they are considered a dwarf-dwarf Angel in the same grouping as the Flameback, Cherub, Brazilian Flameback, Resplendent, and Pacific Pygmy.
Is $45 cheap?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back