S/He Who Dies With The Most R2R Badges Wins?

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is a sucker for palys & zoas. I can care less about them and reading all these threads make me wonder if it's worth the health risk? Is this isolated to payls only or zoas can release enough toxins? I have 2 colonies of palys that I can donate (or kill) but my wife loves her zoas garden.
Palys and Zoas have differing levels of toxicity. I have heard of people being affected by Palythoa grandis. I was poisoned by the light blue Palythoa toxica. The CDC report and several other incidents were caused by the exact variety.
Screenshot_20231218_114524_Chrome.jpg

Here is an article where Jake Adams labeled it a "very bad coral." As much as Jake loved coral, you know he was trying to make a point.
https://reefbuilders.com/2015/08/26/palytoxin-dangerous/

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palys and Zoas have differing levels of toxicity. I have heard of people being affected by Palythoa grandis. I was poisoned by the light blue Palythoa toxica. The CDC report and several other incidents were caused by the exact variety.

Here is an article where Jake Adams labeled it a "very bad coral." As much as Jake loved coral, you know he was trying to make a point.
Thanks for sharing -- yes, I have a HUGE colony of the palythoa grandis (green/red/black) for almost 10yrs now. I will share pics when I get home. I've tried not to touch them nor give them away to friends & families since I've heard of so many horror stories. Luckily they are isolated to a large rock that I can just yank from the tank.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The badges are really up to interpretation honestly.
I have 35 years experience in this hobby.
Also have some badges.
Doesn't mean anyone would listen to anything I have to say.
There are many on here with no badges that provide good, positive and funny quality posts.
There are many with badges and I can't understand anything they say or their posts aren't positive or written in a grammatically poor way.
So I'm particular about who and what I listen to and why. Badges immaterial most of the time.
For me, positivity and clarity of speech mean a lot. Constructive criticism is much better than brow beating.
A lot of badges doesn't mean lots of experience.
Sometimes it does.
Just gotta find a place where you can sort that out for yourself.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what I have for almost 10yrs now - it was very cool at the time but will likely get rid of ‘em soon.

Attachments

• IMG_7046.jpeg
    IMG_7046.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 24

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have for almost 10yrs now - it was very cool at the time but will likely get rid of ‘em soon.
I really have no experience with the toxicity of those grandis. I had a very bad reaction to the toxicas I posted and try to make it known to hopefully spare someone that experience

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back