S/He Who Dies With The Most R2R Badges Wins?

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe @revhtree would add a Reef Stupidity Badge lol.
Awarded to those like me who make stupid mistakes, ie not wearing protection while working in your tank, forgetting to turn pumps back on after feeding, stepping away from your mixing barrel when filling from a collection container and pumping gallons of water in the floor, getting squirted in the eye with a paly or zoa when dragging as you took your safety glasses off for a second and forgot to put them back on fortunately didn’t even irritate me. Oh that is just my list each and everyone plus I’m sure some I didn’t remember. I’m guessing there are others who have even better examples.

Can I get this badge first, please.
We can all get that badge! Yay!
Here is the Julian Sprung talk on Palythoa. Even he gets the badge. He made himself sick and nuked a tank with Palythoa.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have wayyyyy to many badges to get involve in our conversation here. You sir, are one of the envious problem makers, so face it> :face-with-tears-of-joy: :smiling-face-with-halo: :thinking-face: :cool:

By the way, I am worried that you had to seek medical attention for Palytoxin exposure. Take it easy and get well! You have enough badges already.
Is there an emergency room visit badge?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get a bad blood infection from working on my old neighbor’s tank a few years ago. I cut my finger underwater on a rock (vermited snails) and got an infection. That infection went into my blood and lymph node system. I was in the hospital on iv antibiotics for three days in the icu for monitoring. So yeah, gloves should be worn when touching the rocks, imo.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
We can all get that badge! Yay!
Here is the Julian Sprung talk on Palythoa. Even he gets the badge. He made himself sick and nuked a tank with Palythoa.

wow, what an interesting thing. Never thought about it. I had a major tank crash (coral die off) after a day of fragging. My tank was so beautiful and thriving, spent the day fragging and yes, a slew of palys including the really big ones. over the next couple of weeks (maybe faster) corals receded and died. maybe it was this as I didn't make any other changes to the tank.

I wonder how to avoid this, maybe a quarantine period in another tank? Does carbon pull this toxin? Inquiring Minds Want To Know!!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how to avoid this, maybe a quarantine period in another tank? Does carbon pull this toxin?
QT wouldn't help, but carbon does seem to pull the toxin:
"Activated carbon adsorbed 99.7% of PLTXs contained in the seawater and this represents a good strategy for preventing aquarium hobbyist poisonings."
From An aquarium hobbyist poisoning: Identification of new palytoxins in Palythoa cf. toxica and complete detoxification of the aquarium water by activated carbon

So we assume GAC helps mitigate the toxin in the water, but of course that doesn't help you if you scrub the rocks or directly contact the coral tissue etc.

We also presume GAC would remove toxins from dinoflagellates, (ovatoxin, saxitoxin, others) because ovatoxin is called a "palytoxin analogue". But I don't know enough to be confident on that.

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT wouldn't help, but carbon does seem to pull the toxin:
That is good to know!
I had a major tank crash (coral die off) after a day of fragging.
I did a large tank move like I had done dozens of times. I guess I ticked off the Palys, because the next morning there was a horrid smell coming from the Rubbermaid troughs and corals were dying. The Palys didn't even go into the Rubbermaids. We discarded them because they were aggressive growers. It was a method I had repeated many times, and I didn't realize why it went south until I saw this video. I transferred the coral into the new tank water and everything recovered.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you guys with the fruit salads of ribbons should class it up like the old salts do and just wear your top three. Usually the combat ones. We need combat badges for beating pests. Mini medals or something would also be good for the sake of posts not taking up whole pages.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you guys with the fruit salads of ribbons should class it up like the old salts do and just wear your top three. Usually the combat ones. We need combat badges for beating pests. Mini medals or something would also be good for the sake of posts not taking up whole pages.
What about thread combat?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this with some blood stains?
1702759848127.png

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get a bad blood infection from working on my old neighbor’s tank a few years ago. I cut my finger underwater on a rock (vermited snails) and got an infection. That infection went into my blood and lymph node system. I was in the hospital on iv antibiotics for three days in the icu for monitoring. So yeah, gloves should be worn when touching the rocks, imo.
Count me lucky that I never had a problem with vermited snails as both current tanks have them and a previous fowlr was more than invaded with them.

I was cleaning gyres yesterday and managed to get a few under the skin and so far never had a issue.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to know!

I did a large tank move like I had done dozens of times. I guess I ticked off the Palys, because the next morning there was a horrid smell coming from the Rubbermaid troughs and corals were dying. The Palys didn't even go into the Rubbermaids. We discarded them because they were aggressive growers. It was a method I had repeated many times, and I didn't realize why it went south until I saw this video. I transferred the coral into the new tank water and everything recovered.
My wife is a sucker for palys & zoas. I can care less about them and reading all these threads make me wonder if it's worth the health risk? Is this isolated to payls only or zoas can release enough toxins? I have 2 colonies of palys that I can donate (or kill) but my wife loves her zoas garden.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is a sucker for palys & zoas. I can care less about them and reading all these threads make me wonder if it's worth the health risk? Is this isolated to payls only or zoas can release enough toxins? I have 2 colonies of palys that I can donate (or kill) but my wife loves her zoas garden.
Palys, zoas, and other things (surprisingly, it can be a bit complicated what does and doesn't fit this category) may all contain palytoxin, but as long as your not ingesting it/something that contains it, getting it in cuts (or your eyes), or (most commonly) aerosolizing it, it shouldn't hurt you at all.

If you want some in depth reading (that I think covers most of the topic) on palytoxin, see my posts in the threads below (some of threads have multiple posts from me):

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I think @revhtree has the most (cause well yea…) anyway, here’s what I think I know:

Tank Thread/Build badge - start a build thread and put the link somewhere in your profile and it should show up (I think the actual instructions are in the feedback forum).

Hospitality - excessive participation in the introduction threads welcoming newcomers

Excellence - honestly not sure

Article contributor - I think you need to get a published article on this site

Partner member - participate in the partner drive

Light up reef2reef badge - buy a reef2reef light

My Midwest reefer - join the Midwest reefer club

And well I have no idea what some are
Rev has 16 vetteguy53081 has 19. Rev your slacking.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev has 16 vetteguy53081 has 19. Rev your slacking.
Rev is going to notice this thread and show up with 4 new badges we have never seen before just so he can have the most haha

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back