Sad news....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Posted by Michael Del Prete:
I am saddened to report the passing of Mr. Albert J Thiel. Mr. Thiel lost his long battle with cancer at approx. 11AM local time in his home in GA on April 23, 2017. There will be a cremation and a small ceremony. - Albert was a well respected author lecturer on various topics in the aquarium industry. - Albert was my pal, my buddy and my friend. Love you and will miss you. MDP

Albert was a member here and he will be missed. Sad news for all of our extended reefing family. Albert was well loved and a respected authority within the saltwater aquarium industry. Rest in peace sir.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad news my deepest condolences to his family.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May his family cope with the situation as best they can, given the circumstances. God bless them.

psirex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my grandmother last July and my brother this past January to the fight.... May the family take solace that he is no longer in pain.....

[emoji72][emoji72][emoji72][emoji72][emoji72][emoji72][emoji72]

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the foundations of this hobby. His books and articles influenced me and help me start this hobby. Truly one of the masters and will never be forgotten. Gods speed Albert.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very saddened to read this. Mr. Thiel has given so much to the hobby over the years. Reaching back in my memory to all those articles in magazines that are hard to find now, all those books . . . when you saw that name, you could rest confident in the knowledge you were about to receive was good stuff . . .

~Bruce

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to hear this. I actually got to meet Mr. Thiel in the late 80s. He was working as a rep for Dupla and was at a LFS setting up their display tank, which was the very first actual reef tank I ever laid eyes on. I can still remember the shimmer of that Duplasun MH fixture over that 58 Oceanic. That is what hooked me. I was there while he was setting up the tank and asked for tips on how to convert my 200 gallon FO system to a reef. He came to my home and spent some time telling me what I needed to do. He was the reason I became a little more serious about the hobby and not just the keeper of a fish tank. Farewell Mr. Thiel. Thank you for all of your efforts to promote reefing in the early days. You were truly a pioneer.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back