Albert J. Thiel - Fundraiser

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many of you have probably heard, Albert Thiel lost his battle with cancer on Sunday, April 23, 2017. His family needs our help as they have been financially devastated due to his exorbitant medical expenses. Randi Horlick started a gofundme campaign about 4 months ago to help them. Sadly, the campaign has only raised a meager $2855.00 of it's $20,000.00 goal.

We are hoping our amazing R2R family can help this incredible man's family by donating to the fund - No amount is too small!:

https://www.gofundme.com/albert-needs-our-help-and-support

A little background:
Albert was a well-respected businessman, author and speaker who helped revolutionize reef keeping in the late 80’s and early 90’s. He was a kindhearted man with a passion for reef keeping who freely gave of his time and shared his knowledge with hobbyists on message boards, reef forums, and in person. Over the years, he spoke at several MACNA conferences and numerous aquarium society meetings here in the U.S., as well as abroad, in England, France, and Germany.

He was born and raised in Belgium and in 1979, moved to the United States. In the mid 1980’s, after working for large US companies, Albert started his own business, Thiel AquaTech, which originated or brought to market many of the supplements and equipment we still use today. The company was sold in 1996.

Albert authored several reef keeping related books, a monthly newsletter, and many articles for U.S. magazines Tropical Fish Hobbyist (TFH) and Fresh Water and Marine Aquarium (FAMA), as well as several foreign publications in English, French and Spanish. He also published many articles in Aquarium Society Newsletters and other vehicles under the pen name “The Blackfriar”.

Printed Books and Newsletter:
  • 2013 - Nano-Reef Aquariums, The Optimum Guide for the Nano-Reef Hobbyist
  • 1993 - Ten Easy Steps to a Great Looking Saltwater and Reef Aquarium
  • 1989 - Advanced Reef Keeping I: A Comprehensive Guide to Setting Up Your Reef Tank
  • 1989 - Small Reef Aquarium Basics: The Optimum Aquarium for the Reef Hobbyist
  • 1989 - The Trickle Filter
  • 1988 - The Marine Fish and Invert Reef Aquarium: Advanced Techniques & Instrumentation
  • “Marine Reef: The Newsletter” – A 16 to 24 page monthly publication that ran for 5 years.
Albert would not want anyone to be sad for his passing - only to celebrate his life and continue with his ideals by helping each other the way he was so willing to help everyone he could.

ajt_book4.jpg
ajt_book2.jpg
ajt_book6.jpg

ajt.jpg
ajt_book1.png
ajt_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very saddened by this loss. Albert was also one of our own here. Let's come together and raise some money to help his family.

Thanks for putting this thread together.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very saddened by this loss. Albert was also one of our own here. Let's come together and raise some money to help his family.

Thanks for putting this thread together.
Done!

blizzardscout2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will miss hearing his passion about reefing. I loved his podcast as I learned so much from him on Nano Reef Hour. It is time to buy his book and help out his family. God bless them.

dallasg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
done, i still have the blue book i got in 1992. from snail mail to forums, always willing to help.
True hero of the reefing world

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seldom has one man done so much over so many years to influence help and mentor others and bring so much to the hobby a true pioneer. Albert encouraged me to improve my reefkeeping skills and that of so many more over decades. When he asked for help it was easy to give just as it is easy to give during his and his families needs now. Please help return his favours in the Olympics way you can by donating to this worthy cause. RIP my friend.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ll put a link to this at the Swedish Reef forum.

Is there any possibility to make a Pay Pal account for the founding - it could make it easier to get support from people around the world.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ll put a link to this at the Swedish Reef forum.

Is there any possibility to make a Pay Pal account for the founding - it could make it easier to get support from people around the world.

Sincerely Lasse
Thank You Lasse! We will look into your Paypal suggestion.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back