Sailfin tang, dark patch

  • Thread starter Thread starter Resilient
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2024
Messages
98
Reaction score
29
Location
Corvallis
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sailfin tang that I think got injured today, but wanted to confirm. During Christmas visitations a kid pulled off the magnet from the powerhead and it whipped around a bit panicking a bunch of fish.

After that I noticed this spot on the sailfin tang's upper fin, which I suspect is related, but after recently losing a blenny really quickly to a bacterial infection I want to double check that this seems non-urgent and that I can wait and monitor.

PXL_20251227_013411184.jpg



 
I have a sailfin tang that I think got injured today, but wanted to confirm. During Christmas visitations a kid pulled off the magnet from the powerhead and it whipped around a bit panicking a bunch of fish.

After that I noticed this spot on the sailfin tang's upper fin, which I suspect is related, but after recently losing a blenny really quickly to a bacterial infection I want to double check that this seems non-urgent and that I can wait and monitor.

PXL_20251227_013411184.jpg



Likely post injury from scratch or even a bite and should heal on its own.
 
In the past couple hours they have turned from dark patches to clear/translucent which seems concerning.

PXL_20251227_035240351.jpg
 
I have a sailfin tang that I think got injured today, but wanted to confirm. During Christmas visitations a kid pulled off the magnet from the powerhead and it whipped around a bit panicking a bunch of fish.

After that I noticed this spot on the sailfin tang's upper fin, which I suspect is related, but after recently losing a blenny really quickly to a bacterial infection I want to double check that this seems non-urgent and that I can wait and monitor.

PXL_20251227_013411184.jpg




I agree, that does look like a superficial injury that will heal on its own. Just watch for a hole developing through the fin - that could indicate a secondary infection.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new