OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., this one is a puzzler. I re-read your message and came across this: " Yesterday he was doing great, eating, swimming. Today he won’t eat and doesn’t look good." Normally, when I read this sort of thing, I just assume that the person missed the early clues of a problem and it just APPEARED to turn up overnight. In looking at your video, I'm now thinking that this fish looks pretty good overall. Flukes, ich and other external parasite will cause a more gradual worsening of its condition. In addition, as I said, other fish are normally affected as well.

It is rare, but the fish may have suffered an impact injury - gotten frightened and ran into the tank wall. I'm trying to think of what other issue could cause symptoms overnight like that.....there really isn't anything else....

How does it look this morning?

Jay
The colors have faded a little bit over night. Still breathing. No change in swimming.

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors have faded a little bit over night. Still breathing. No change in swimming.
There was a lot of loud noises upstairs yesterday that could’ve caused his to get frightened and swim into the walls.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hmmm...
Okay, tangs are called "ick magnets" for a reason.
The usual causes for sudden rapid breathing are:
-Poisoning. The other fish should also be affected
-Nitrite
Not much of a problem in saltwater
-Being the biggest fish in the tank when oxygen levels drop for any reason.
This one is sneaky
-Gill parasites.
The #1 most common cause

If I had to guess, and I guess I do, then I would place my bet on gill parasites. Adding a new fish to a tank will frequently cause an outbreak. Another freshwater dip wouldn't hurt, and then put the fish in the other tank. The other fish in the tank are also at high risk, but one crisis at a time. Treat both tanks with Herbtana if they're reef tanks, or Artimiss
Tangs are ick magnets ?
Maybe if people looked at water quality and diet as an importance and quarantined - There would be less disease. Funny is these are just Come of my tangs (17 in all - and zero issues
660g tangs 7.3.jpg
660g 3.30h.jpg
600g progress e.jpg
1643557775482.png
1643557813535.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree with Jay- They startle easily and will run into the glass in a flash.
Water- What test kits are you using?
Ammonia spike possible.
How old is tank and is this a first fish ?

Hold a stressed fish out of water is Not recommended.

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Jay- They startle easily and will run into the glass in a flash.
Water- What test kits are you using?
Ammonia spike possible.
How old is tank and is this a first fish ?

Hold a stressed fish out of water is Not recommended.
I’m using an API test kit and test every 3 days to monitor swings. No spike. Tank is 4 months old and the fish has been in the tank for about a month. He was added after the clowns by a month and a half. I only held him out of the water during the fw dip and to be able to diagnose what is wrong.

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sailfin tang is staying on the bottom of the tank breathing hard, not really controlling where he goes, sometimes going nose does or upside down. Yesterday he was doing great, eating, swimming. Today he won’t eat and doesn’t look good. No color fading, still looks healthy weight wise. I did a lot of research and nothing seems to look or act like what I am reading. I thought it might have been flukes so I fw dipped him but didn’t notice anything coke off except for a white spot that was on his tail. Any idea of what could have caused such a fast decline or what do to going forward. Other fish in tank are 4 clowns and a social wrasse.
I Went to my LFS and he doesn’t know either. He said it is probably swim bladder problem or maybe internal parasites. That if I get him into a qt tank that would probably stress him out and kill him faster. I put him into a critter keeper, fully submerged, and will monitor his condition. All other fish are still looking and swimming great. Is there anything to confirm or deny it being a swim bladder? Anything that I could’ve done to cause it? Anything I could do in future to prevent future fish from suffering from it?

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Went to my LFS and he doesn’t know either. He said it is probably swim bladder problem or maybe internal parasites. That if I get him into a qt tank that would probably stress him out and kill him faster. I put him into a critter keeper, fully submerged, and will monitor his condition. All other fish are still looking and swimming great. Is there anything to confirm or deny it being a swim bladder? Anything that I could’ve done to cause it? Anything I could do in future to prevent future fish from suffering from it?

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after the fish being in the holder for about an hour I noticed a lump/something pushing, on the left side of the fish. I think the picture shows it pretty well. I haven’t had this angle until him being in the holder. Called my LFS and he said that raising temp up to 82 degrees is safe and may expel the bladder. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 58

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
82 is safe but never heard of it used to help the bladder.

I have used a diabetic needle and iodine to remove air from a swim bladder once. There is actually a video on how to do it. It is not for the faint of heart.

I can’t not load the video right now so probably want confirmation this is a bladder issue before any drastic measures.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after the fish being in the holder for about an hour I noticed a lump/something pushing, on the left side of the fish. I think the picture shows it pretty well. I haven’t had this angle until him being in the holder. Called my LFS and he said that raising temp up to 82 degrees is safe and may expel the bladder. Thoughts?

I can't tell you exactly what this is (I still think a strike injury though) but it isn't a swim bladder problem. That typically makes the fish positively buoyant and this fish is not. In some cases, you see a fish with a deflated swim bladder. Those fish will sit on the bottom except when swimming. This tang is upside down, so that isn't it either.

Jay

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you exactly what this is (I still think a strike injury though) but it isn't a swim bladder problem. That typically makes the fish positively buoyant and this fish is not. In some cases, you see a fish with a deflated swim bladder. Those fish will sit on the bottom except when swimming. This tang is upside down, so that isn't it either.

Jay
Do you know of anything I could do to help the fish? He is still alive and nothing has changed in his condition for the better.
Thank you

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've seen African Cichlid behave like that after loosing fights. I've also seen it from what I think is a bacterial infection messing with their 'balance'. For them, I'd raise temp and salinity and put erythromycin & Melafix in the water. I don't know if it will do anything in your case though.

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, the fish has died. I got home from work and he was very dark, and not breathing. I watched him for a couple minutes to confirm. Moved him a little to no avail. I believe Jay is right that the fish got spooked, ran into the wall and hurt himself beyond my repair. Thank you to the people who gave insight and knowledge about disease and helping me try and figure out what to do.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Update, the fish has died. I got home from work and he was very dark, and not breathing. I watched him for a couple minutes to confirm. Moved him a little to no avail. I believe Jay is right that the fish got spooked, ran into the wall and hurt himself beyond my repair. Thank you to the people who gave insight and knowledge about disease and helping me try and figure out what to do.
Just got home. Sorry to hear. Some things to keep in mind. . . . . . . .
Wish fish that have a buoyancy issue and are in great distress makes recovery 50/50.
Struggling to maintain a normal swimming position is relevant to swim bladder infection or similar internal issue/symptom.
If severe buoyancy problems exist, the fish may not be able to feed normally or even reach the surface of the water. This disorder is sometimes caused by compression of the swim bladder, which may involve a distended stomach from rapidly eating, overeating, constipation, or gulping air, which is thought to occur with floating foods. Eating freeze-dried or dry flake food that expands when it becomes wet can also lead to an enlarged stomach or intestinal tract.
Other causes are :
  • Trauma/Injury
  • Bacterial infection
  • Parasitic infection
  • Stress/rapidly changing water parameters
  • Poor water quality

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back