Sailfish tang on bottom of tank

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sailfin tang is staying on the bottom of the tank breathing hard, not really controlling where he goes, sometimes going nose does or upside down. Yesterday he was doing great, eating, swimming. Today he won’t eat and doesn’t look good. No color fading, still looks healthy weight wise. I did a lot of research and nothing seems to look or act like what I am reading. I thought it might have been flukes so I fw dipped him but didn’t notice anything coke off except for a white spot that was on his tail. Any idea of what could have caused such a fast decline or what do to going forward. Other fish in tank are 4 clowns and a social wrasse.

C34C23FA-9E93-46F2-B9E5-E71E89D2363B.jpeg FD8B2125-DDE1-4CEA-8C28-D2CE106541CD.jpeg 0CA85AD8-48F4-4AAC-81AC-149BBB928B79.jpeg 7BD7A91F-64D7-4047-B893-8FB0DAB53A79.jpeg 53EB4764-88E0-48E7-9AF8-7EEF85589510.jpeg 5277722E-4AD2-4C57-BFD5-D54AAADAB751.jpeg

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sailfin tang is staying on the bottom of the tank breathing hard, not really controlling where he goes, sometimes going nose does or upside down. Yesterday he was doing great, eating, swimming. Today he won’t eat and doesn’t look good. No color fading, still looks healthy weight wise. I did a lot of research and nothing seems to look or act like what I am reading. I thought it might have been flukes so I fw dipped him but didn’t notice anything coke off except for a white spot that was on his tail. Any idea of what could have caused such a fast decline or what do to going forward. Other fish in tank are 4 clowns and a social wrasse.

C34C23FA-9E93-46F2-B9E5-E71E89D2363B.jpeg FD8B2125-DDE1-4CEA-8C28-D2CE106541CD.jpeg 0CA85AD8-48F4-4AAC-81AC-149BBB928B79.jpeg 7BD7A91F-64D7-4047-B893-8FB0DAB53A79.jpeg 53EB4764-88E0-48E7-9AF8-7EEF85589510.jpeg 5277722E-4AD2-4C57-BFD5-D54AAADAB751.jpeg
I really could be multiple things, you said a white dot came off that would be ick or maybe velvet but you would notice it before hand what other inhabitants do you have in your tank? What are your parameters? Do you have a quarantine tank if so put him in it

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really could be multiple things, you said a white dot came off that would be ick or maybe velvet but you would notice it before hand what other inhabitants do you have in your tank? What are your parameters? Do you have a quarantine tank if so put him in it
I have 4 clowns and a social wrasse. None of which are showing any signs of anything wrong.
salinity 1.024
Using api test kit below
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate below 5
Ph 8-8.2
I do not have a qt tank but I have spare tanks/saltwater/ and bio balls in sump.
should I get him into that? Anything I should put into that separate tank? Anything I should put into dt?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him?

Sounds like either a fish in his death throws or a swim bladder problem. Although fast breathing is also a Symptom of velvet.

Any other potential bullies? Any other tangs or large fish? His fins look torn too.

Anything new added?

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 clowns and a social wrasse. None of which are showing any signs of anything wrong.
salinity 1.024
Using api test kit below
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate below 5
Ph 8-8.2
I do not have a qt tank but I have spare tanks/saltwater/ and bio balls in sump.
should I get him into that? Anything I should put into that separate tank? Anything I should put into dt?
Separate him ASAP run carbon in your existing tank to get rid of any chemicals that might be in there just in case!! As far as medication goes for him. https://www.polyplab.com/products/m...MIv4Xth6bY9QIVuopaBR1CIwj1EAQYASABEgLG9_D_BwE. EAIaIQobChMIv4Xth6bY9QIVuopaBR1CIwj1EAQYAiABEgLKWvD https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/microbe-lift-artemiss-freshwater-treatment. These are the best ones I can recommend for anything!!

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him?

Sounds like either a fish in his death throws or a swim bladder problem.

Any other potential bullies? Any other tangs or large fish? His fins look torn too.
I have had him for month. No potential bullies, only him 4 clowns and a social wrasse. What is death throws?

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separate him ASAP run carbon in your existing tank to get rid of any chemicals that might be in there just in case!! As far as medication goes for him. https://www.polyplab.com/products/m...MIv4Xth6bY9QIVuopaBR1CIwj1EAQYASABEgLG9_D_BwE. EAIaIQobChMIv4Xth6bY9QIVuopaBR1CIwj1EAQYAiABEgLKWvD https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/microbe-lift-artemiss-freshwater-treatment. These are the best ones I can recommend for anything!!
I am currently running a small amount of carbon in dt. I will replace with fresh carbon in the morning, I need to get more. Should I be worried about the other fish in the tank?

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a small amount of carbon in dt. I will replace with fresh carbon in the morning, I need to get more. Should I be worried about the other fish in the tank?
I would definitely keep an eye on them just in case for about 4 days!

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kinds of things should I look for other than laying on the sand bed? Thus sailfin showed no signs before today of any type of illness.
Lack of eating, white spots, cuts wounds, awkward swimming. Any of those, I would mix a little bit of garlic juice in with all of there food ecspecily the one that’s sick. The best of luck to ya mate!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It is rare for just one fish in a group to develop symptoms like this. Both diseases and water quality sides will affect all fish more or less equally.
Can you post a short video taken under white light?

Jay

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...
Okay, tangs are called "ick magnets" for a reason.
The usual causes for sudden rapid breathing are:
-Poisoning. The other fish should also be affected
-Nitrite
Not much of a problem in saltwater
-Being the biggest fish in the tank when oxygen levels drop for any reason.
This one is sneaky
-Gill parasites.
The #1 most common cause

If I had to guess, and I guess I do, then I would place my bet on gill parasites. Adding a new fish to a tank will frequently cause an outbreak. Another freshwater dip wouldn't hurt, and then put the fish in the other tank. The other fish in the tank are also at high risk, but one crisis at a time. Treat both tanks with Herbtana if they're reef tanks, or Artimiss

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Take your hands off him . 2 Turn the lights off for a day or two and keep feeding reg. 3 If he's got the covid give him two weeks.

JonEB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a new yellow tang with no symptoms a few weeks ago… he was healthy, young and eating great. had him 4 weeks and he kicked the bucket over night at 4 weeks. The only things my LFS said could be the cause after seeing my water parameters- and seeing photos, was possibly being a cyanide catch. Was sold to me as a first batch of captive bread yellow tangs.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a new yellow tang with no symptoms a few weeks ago… he was healthy, young and eating great. had him 4 weeks and he kicked the bucket over night at 4 weeks. The only things my LFS said could be the cause after seeing my water parameters- and seeing photos, was possibly being a cyanide catch. Was sold to me as a first batch of captive bread yellow tangs.
Yellow tangs, Zebrasoma flavescens, are never caught with cyanide….

Jay

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached are clearer photos. I cannot see any abnormalities except a little chip in tail
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It is rare for just one fish in a group to develop symptoms like this. Both diseases and water quality sides will affect all fish more or less equally.
Can you post a short video taken under white light?

Jay
I can also take close up pictures if you need of the fish. image.jpg

OP
OP
B

bigsaggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...
Okay, tangs are called "ick magnets" for a reason.
The usual causes for sudden rapid breathing are:
-Poisoning. The other fish should also be affected
-Nitrite
Not much of a problem in saltwater
-Being the biggest fish in the tank when oxygen levels drop for any reason.
This one is sneaky
-Gill parasites.
The #1 most common cause

If I had to guess, and I guess I do, then I would place my bet on gill parasites. Adding a new fish to a tank will frequently cause an outbreak. Another freshwater dip wouldn't hurt, and then put the fish in the other tank. The other fish in the tank are also at high risk, but one crisis at a time. Treat both tanks with Herbtana if they're reef tanks, or Artimiss
Thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached are clearer photos. I cannot see any abnormalities except a little chip in tail

I can also take close up pictures if you need of the fish. image.jpg

O.K., this one is a puzzler. I re-read your message and came across this: " Yesterday he was doing great, eating, swimming. Today he won’t eat and doesn’t look good." Normally, when I read this sort of thing, I just assume that the person missed the early clues of a problem and it just APPEARED to turn up overnight. In looking at your video, I'm now thinking that this fish looks pretty good overall. Flukes, ich and other external parasite will cause a more gradual worsening of its condition. In addition, as I said, other fish are normally affected as well.

It is rare, but the fish may have suffered an impact injury - gotten frightened and ran into the tank wall. I'm trying to think of what other issue could cause symptoms overnight like that.....there really isn't anything else....

How does it look this morning?

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 62 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back