Salifert alkalinity test kit question

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I have recently started using the Salifert alkalinity test kit, and I am unsure about when to take the reading of how much fluid is left. I noticed that when the blue colour turns pink, you can add more and it goes even more pink. Do I take the reading when it first goes pink, or when it completely stops changing colour? It seems to show many different shades of pink, and I am unsure of when to take the result

- Thank you

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I have recently started using the Salifert alkalinity test kit, and I am unsure about when to take the reading of how much fluid is left. I noticed that when the blue colour turns pink, you can add more and it goes even more pink. Do I take the reading when it first goes pink, or when it completely stops changing colour? It seems to show many different shades of pink, and I am unsure of when to take the result

- Thank you

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know exactly what you are saying, I give the extra drop every time. I think the important thing is that what ever you decide today, make sure you do every time you test. Otherwise you will be going back and forth on the numbers. For what it is worth, I have the Hanna tester, Salifert, and the Trident. I use the salifert to calibrate my Trident, and those numbers are pretty solid once calibrated with each other. The Hanna is just a quick little test that I occasionally due and if that number is way off from the Trident I will do the manual test to confirm numbers. I test weekly, just to confirm my OCD.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you are saying, I give the extra drop every time. I think the important thing is that what ever you decide today, make sure you do every time you test. Otherwise you will be going back and forth on the numbers. For what it is worth, I have the Hanna tester, Salifert, and the Trident. I use the salifert to calibrate my Trident, and those numbers are pretty solid once calibrated with each other. The Hanna is just a quick little test that I occasionally due and if that number is way off from the Trident I will do the manual test to confirm numbers. I test weekly, just to confirm my OCD.
Yeah, I was considering getting the Hanna tester
I will definitely take the reading at the same colour each time, as even when it looks the correct pink colour it can just keep going, I suppose this is where the Hanna tester comes in

Thanks for the reply

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back