Salifert Calcium Test over 500 everytime

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mixed up a fresh batch of regular purple box IO last night, and literally just got done testing it.

500CAL

Like I said earlier in the thread though, I've been using IO for years, and recently the CAL has gone way up in the new boxes I have. So it's quite possible that RC is mixing up that high.

How do you check salinity? If your salinity is off, it will throw all the other parameters off too.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why you should have 2 seperate test kits to verify whatever you are testing. It will save you headaches in the long run.
I had the same issue when I got the new salifert. My red sea kit confirmed the number was correct.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will reiterate what I said earlier and what homer1475 mentions to check your salinity. High numbers could indicate your mixing the salt stronger than you think you are. Also don't expect your test kit to match the bucket numbers exactly either. They are not perfect in manufacturing and hobby test kits have a margin of error as well as a user margin of error in determining the end point. My Ca regularly runs around 500 or a little over and it's perfectly fine so I wouldn't even care about 530 as long as salinity is fine and my other numbers are good like Mg, PO4, Alk, NO3

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mixed up a fresh batch of regular purple box IO last night, and literally just got done testing it.

500CAL

Like I said earlier in the thread though, I've been using IO for years, and recently the CAL has gone way up in the new boxes I have. So it's quite possible that RC is mixing up that high.

How do you check salinity? If your salinity is off, it will throw all the other parameters off too.
I have a refractometer and I calibrate it before every use (just got new fluid too, actually had that exact issue a few months ago). Just crazy they would go that high on purpose. I know it shouldn't really hurt much, but that doesn't seem to be on par with trying to replicate natural sea waters. Could be the batch too I suppose.

I usually have two kits, but the API one was garbage so I got rid of it. Will likely order a Red Sea one so I have a separate one to verify with too.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will reiterate what I said earlier and what homer1475 mentions to check your salinity. High numbers could indicate your mixing the salt stronger than you think you are. Also don't expect your test kit to match the bucket numbers exactly either. They are not perfect in manufacturing and hobby test kits have a margin of error as well as a user margin of error in determining the end point. My Ca regularly runs around 500 or a little over and it's perfectly fine so I wouldn't even care about 530 as long as salinity is fine and my other numbers are good like Mg, PO4, Alk, NO3
Sg: 1.025, Alk: 9, NO3: 7, PO4: 0.07, I just don't know my Mg. Need a test for that still, may just wait for the Hanna though. They're releasing one in June I think.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So due to my high Ca levels, if I try to raise my Alk, I get calcium carbonate precipiation almost immedaitely. I dose the Alk 2-part 1 drop at a time, right into the return stream that crosses with my vortech. Still precipitates.

How can I lower my Ca enough I can start raising my Alk? It's dipped to about 8.1, I try to stay closer to 9-9.5.

Do I just need to keep adding the alk part of the 2 part until enough has precipitated out it will rise? Given my salt mix is over 500 fresh, changes aren't going to help here.

Going to order a new salt too and hope it's a lower Ca fresh mixed. But in the mean time what can I do to drop Ca but not Alk or anything else? Or do I need to raise Mg so the Ca and Alk can balance when I raise the Alk?

Still learning the fine tunings of the chemistry aspect so sorry is these are basic questions. Usually was a Z and P keeper, trying my hand a lot more SPS this go.

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think calcium is a very big driver of calcium carbonate precipitation. A bump in calcium from 420 to 550 ppm has the same effect on precipitation as bumping pH up by 0.12 pH units, or bumping alk from 7 to 9.2 dKH.

it is normal to see immediate cloudiness of magnesium hydroxide when dosing high pH alk additives. It will redissolve as it mixes its.

hardening sand is an indication of precipitation of calcium carbonate. Is that happening?

In any case, if you believe the calcium over 500 ppm is accurate, I’d avoid dosing more until it drops below 500 ppm.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think calcium is a very big driver of calcium carbonate precipitation. A bump in calcium from 420 to 550 ppm has the same effect on precipitation as bumping pH up by 0.12 pH units, or bumping alk from 7 to 9.2 dKH.

it is normal to see immediate cloudiness of magnesium hydroxide when dosing high pH alk additives. It will redissolve as it mixes its.

hardening sand is an indication of precipitation of calcium carbonate. Is that happening?

In any case, if you believe the calcium over 500 ppm is accurate, I’d avoid dosing more until it drops below 500 ppm.
I haven't dosed the Ca portion, only Alk, would you suggest not doing the Alk either?

And thanks, I wasn't sure if the precipiate would dissolve or not. It's not awful if I go exceedingly slow. The sand seems fine, but I have cerith's and an extremely active pistol shrimp keeping things moving currently lol

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like this is all typical and normal and there isn't anything to worry about going on here. My Ca is 500-520 all the time and Alk is around 8.5 with Mg around 1400-1450. It's at 1400ppm now so time to bump it up a little. I don't use a high pH alk supplement so I don't get the cloud but if you do it's nothing unusual. Make sure you dose in a fast moving water flow or powerhead. If you are not getting the alk raise you want maybe you just need to dose more overall? You could also try something like sodium bicarbonate which won't cause the cloud if you really think it's a big deal. There are calculators online if you want to know exactly how much baking soda to add to get the alk where you want it. Just dissolve the baking soda in some RODI before adding.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like this is all typical and normal and there isn't anything to worry about going on here. My Ca is 500-520 all the time and Alk is around 8.5 with Mg around 1400-1450. It's at 1400ppm now so time to bump it up a little. I don't use a high pH alk supplement so I don't get the cloud but if you do it's nothing unusual. Make sure you dose in a fast moving water flow or powerhead. If you are not getting the alk raise you want maybe you just need to dose more overall? You could also try something like sodium bicarbonate which won't cause the cloud if you really think it's a big deal. There are calculators online if you want to know exactly how much baking soda to add to get the alk where you want it. Just dissolve the baking soda in some RODI before adding.
I expect the little "cloud" but it did produce some actual particulates too, that was more my concern I suppose. Glad it's all normal or expected, and I'll keep testing to see where I'm at too. Need to still calculate how much to dose and when. Testing about every 3 days now but may do it daily for a bit so I can figure out exact consumption. Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't dosed the Ca portion, only Alk, would you suggest not doing the Alk either?

And thanks, I wasn't sure if the precipiate would dissolve or not. It's not awful if I go exceedingly slow. The sand seems fine, but I have cerith's and an extremely active pistol shrimp keeping things moving currently lol

Yes, maintain alk at your desired level. :)

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switching to baking soda or other low pH alk additive will reduce the local precipitation.
Thank you! I will look into that as a temp solution while I get a new salt. I know over 500 isn't necessarily bad, but I would prefer to be in the 450ish area and dose higher if I want. I dont like having the inability to lower a parameter with a water change. I've always been a fan of changes over dosing if possible. Although obviously as the tank gets larger that becomes less possible, coral consumption, etc etc lol So many variables hah

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth i had the exact same issue when the new salifert calcium kit i ordered came as the 2 reagent version. Turns out it is consistently reading about 13% high for me tested on freshly made saltwater, aqua forest reference and fauna marine reference. So for me, an actual value of 450ppm calcium shows as just over 500 on the test. Never had such huge deviations with the 3 reagent version

I am not saying to blindly trust that 13% number with your tests though

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth i had the exact same issue when the new salifert calcium kit i ordered came as the 2 reagent version. Turns out it is consistently reading about 13% high for me tested on freshly made saltwater, aqua forest reference and fauna marine reference. So for me, an actual value of 450ppm calcium shows as just over 500 on the test. Never had such huge deviations with the 3 reagent version

I am not saying to blindly trust that 13% number with your tests though
Appreciate the info! I planned on switching salts anyway, so if it still reads high then it'll all but confirm the test just reads high. It's a synthetic salt too so it *should* be pretty consistent to what it specs as. I can confirm the 13% or at least close. I also ordered a Red Sea test kit too so I can compare the two. I prefer having two types, just my API one went bad.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why you should have 2 seperate test kits to verify whatever you are testing. It will save you headaches in the long run.
I had the same issue when I got the new salifert. My red sea kit confirmed the number was correct.
Yep,
Bought the new Salifert to crosscheck Red Sea Pro cal, they are spot on to each other.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back