Salifert Calcium Test over 500 everytime

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else running into this with the new test? I don't dose. I have been using Reef Crystals (plan on swapping to one closer to the parameters I want). I have a BUNCH of SPS that is growing great. Alk is usually 8.5-9.5 and with the API kit calcium was always testing 400-420. Salifert is over 500 every single time. Even after a week without dosing and no water changes, still over 500.

Another local reefer is having the same issue, he ordered his kit from Amazon and mine was from BRS. I'm pretty proficient with test kits and chemistry, so I don't think I'm botching it.

Any tips, tricks, or experience with this would be great! It's the newer kit where you add the 2ml water, add a scoop of reagent, then 0.6ml of reagent 2, then drop by drop until it turns blue. Except it takes over the full 1ml of reagent to do so, indicating over 500 each time. Which I find hard to believe.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify: you don't dose or you stopped dosing? About the only thing you could do to rule it out is have your LFS test a water sample or try another brand (not API) of testing kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a second syringe of titration and see if you get to the endpoint. You just add the values together if you do.. If you don’t get there, there’s a test issue.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify: you don't dose or you stopped dosing? About the only thing you could do to rule it out is have your LFS test a water sample or try another brand (not API) of testing kit.
I don't dose anything. No two part or anything yet. I have been doing 10% weekly water changes in leiu of dosing, but my Alk and Ca consumption is going to exceed that soon, so that's why I wanted to start testing more frequently. To calculate the rate it's consuming. But my Ca is unreadable as it is way over 500 on the salifert each time.

Closest LFS for me is about 45min away. The other reefer ordered a red sea kit to compare to so I'm waiting to see if it shows different, I suspect it will. He uses a different salt than I do as well.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried running the test with 50% tank water 50% RODI to make up the sample amount? It's quite possible it's over 500 I wouldn't trust API to be all that accurate. But if you try with a diluted sample it could tell you if the test is working correctly.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a second syringe of titration and see if you get to the endpoint. You just add the values together if you do.. If you don’t get there, there’s a test issue.
It does get to the endpoint, but we're talking like 550+ and like I said, I don't dose and I know it's being consumed as my SPS are definitely growing. But it was 550 a week ago and 530ish yesterday. I would've expected more of a drop. My alk went from 10.3 to 8.4. So I did dose a small amount of alk last night. After these tests concluded.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else running into this with the new test? I don't dose. I have been using Reef Crystals (plan on swapping to one closer to the parameters I want). I have a BUNCH of SPS that is growing great. Alk is usually 8.5-9.5 and with the API kit calcium was always testing 400-420. Salifert is over 500 every single time. Even after a week without dosing and no water changes, still over 500.

Another local reefer is having the same issue, he ordered his kit from Amazon and mine was from BRS. I'm pretty proficient with test kits and chemistry, so I don't think I'm botching it.

Any tips, tricks, or experience with this would be great! It's the newer kit where you add the 2ml water, add a scoop of reagent, then 0.6ml of reagent 2, then drop by drop until it turns blue. Except it takes over the full 1ml of reagent to do so, indicating over 500 each time. Which I find hard to believe.
The new kit that is only 2 reagents and not 3?

Mine always shows high too, but it shows high with newly mixed water too. I have not gotten another kit to check if the salifert was in error.

I have used salifert for CAL for 15 years now, and have always trusted it. Never gave me a reason not to. Now I see this thread, and think back.......But it will read lower if I stop dosing for the week, so I don't think it's the kit.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried running the test with 50% tank water 50% RODI to make up the sample amount? It's quite possible it's over 500 I wouldn't trust API to be all that accurate. But if you try with a diluted sample it could tell you if the test is working correctly.
API kit I threw out. My PO4 tested 0 nonstop until I got a Hanna, it was 0.84. That whole kit was pitched after that lol

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new kit that is only 2 reagents and not 3?

Mine always shows high too, but it shows high with newly mixed water too. I have not gotten another kit to check if the salifert was in error.

I have used salifert for CAL for 15 years now, and have always trusted it. Never gave me a reason not to. Now I see this thread, and think back.......But it will read lower if I stop dosing for the week, so I don't think it's the kit.
Yes it's the new 2 part one, not 3 part. I've never used Salifert before and heard good things. However when another local reefer brought up this exact issue to me before I mentioned it to him, it kind of threw up some flags. Figured I'd ask around.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked freshly mixed water?
Not yet, I expected the tank to have lower calcium due to consumption so figured it would register under 500 by now if it was actually super high. I'll test the water freshly mixed tomorrow before I do a change and see what I get.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without doing the math, this seems like a typical drop in reference to the alkalinity used.
I agree on the Alk, the Ca is just throwing me.

I am just baffled at how the Ca would've gotten so high without any dosing. Can LR leach calcium back into the tank? I had marco dry rock when I started about 5 months ago, but it's really deep colored and cured well now. I'm just concerned about the accuracy of my Ca tests. I don't want it reading 500 when it's actually 300 and I'm stunting my corals.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium can leech from the rocks, but unless your PH is super low, you not dissolving them. lol

Until you test your new mix none of us can say. If I had to guess, it would be from WC's. Doesn't RC mix up to around 500?

I know my most recent shipment of regular IO is mixing quite high. Higher then it has in the last few years. Maybe RC has changed a bit as well?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, I expected the tank to have lower calcium due to consumption so figured it would register under 500 by now if it was actually super high. I'll test the water freshly mixed tomorrow before I do a change and see what I get.
not necessarily. Biological process in the rock and sand etc can cause Ca to dissolve. Reef Crystals is pretty high too in Ca to start.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll test a fresh mix tomorrow and update. Trying to keep the changes consistent :)
I would try a diluted sample as well. Could be the salt mix and mixing higher salinity if your salinity instrument is off.

Would be good idea to double check salinity. If your measurement is lower than actual, that could cause Ca etc to be on the high side. What salinity are you running and what are you using to measure?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does get to the endpoint, but we're talking like 550+ and like I said, I don't dose and I know it's being consumed as my SPS are definitely growing. But it was 550 a week ago and 530ish yesterday. I would've expected more of a drop. My alk went from 10.3 to 8.4. So I did dose a small amount of alk last night. After these tests concluded.

OK, you didn't say that you got a number of 550 ppm.

550 ppm calcium is fine.

Not sure if its accurate, or if so, why it is higher than normal, but its not a problem.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh mix RC with the Salifert test was about 530ish Ca. Unless RC really jacked up the calcium on this batch that still seems high. Heading to an LFS Friday so going to have them check too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 104 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back