Salifert calcium test

Mark75g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am using the salifert calcium test kit. I am adding 2ml of water and then one scoop of the bottle one. Then I am putting 6 ml of the 2nd solution the water turns purple and does not turn pink at all. Does that mean too much calcium in water or not enough to test for. Tried sample from my large tank and same thing happened. Or could the test kit be bad

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my Salifert test directions differ:

2ml tank water
1 scoop ca-1
10 drops Ca-2

(should be pink)

then 1ml of and ca-3 reagent in a syringe and one drop at a time until you see pink turn to blue- then your reading is based on what’s remaining in the syringe.

Hope that helps
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am using the salifert calcium test kit. I am adding 2ml of water and then one scoop of the bottle one. Then I am putting 6 ml of the 2nd solution the water turns purple and does not turn pink at all. Does that mean too much calcium in water or not enough to test for. Tried sample from my large tank and same thing happened. Or could the test kit be bad
I haven't done that test in a while, but that is not the procedure I remember. What I remember is that you add a scoop of the first reagent, then several drops of the second, then you titrate the 3rd.

OP
OP
M

Mark75g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct the new is different than the old ones. I can’t figure if the color not turning pink means no trace of calcium or too much calcium

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct the new is different than the old ones. I can’t figure if the color not turning pink means no trace of calcium or too much calcium
Im sorry, I didn’t realize it’s been changed lol. I’m not sure in the new ones.

but now curious-

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not used the Salifert kit in a decade, but assuming you are testing seawater, there's never inadequate or excessive calcium for the initial color change.

I'd try adding the titrant and see what that does. Maybe purple is really "pink" and it is much more blue at the endpoint.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having same issue. Putting .6 ml of solution stays blue. Does not turn pink until the .25 mark, then turns blue again later on. I don't know what the purpose of going to the .6 ml right of the bat, unless it is just to bypass values at 300 or lower. My issue is that if definitely does not torn at the .6 mark. My cal is high, 460 - 500, but that is where it always has been. thoughts?

Ilya_Tihomirov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new test from Salifert is a complete mess, I have overestimated the test solution from TM by 50 units. Salifert does not admit mistakes, says that when the titrant evaporates, its concentration may increase and its indicators may change

lizzyann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue. Can't even figure out how much ca-2 to add the first time to make it turn pink, certainly didn't working according to the instructions. Did any of you figure out a solution or at least if this might mean calcium is too high or too low to recognize? My parameters got super off and I'm trying to reign everything back in, so I can't even guess.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow the directions exactly and works every time with the newer test kit I bought. To be safe take a sample to your LFS and have them test it for you

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Salifert but have the previous version. I wonder why they changed it if the old version worked. Is the new test suppose to be easier? I'm definitely following this thread to see what happens. I might not be buying their calcium test again.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it every week. You just add enough of the solution to get close to your normal number. My Ca is usually around 430 so I add about 0.7-0.75mL to get someone close and mix. It turns pink and then I add dropwise and mix after every drop until blue and that is your result. Works well and very consistent. Don't get caught up on how much to add initially. It's the ending part with the slow drops that matter.

Finntastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having issues with the new Salifert calcium test also. I have added nearly a 1ml (full syringe) of Ca-2 and it never turn pink. It turns different shades of blue and that is it. Just to clarify, once it turns pink, you fill the syringe back to the 1.0 ml mark and add drop wise until it turns blue again?

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the new salifert Ca test kit reads about 50ppm high as compared to ICP and Hanna. Disappointing as people seemed to really love the old kit, and is why I decided to try it out. Not sure why they changed it...

lizzyann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having issues with the new Salifert calcium test also. I have added nearly a 1ml (full syringe) of Ca-2 and it never turn pink. It turns different shades of blue and that is it. Just to clarify, once it turns pink, you fill the syringe back to the 1.0 ml mark and add drop wise until it turns blue again?
No, you don't fill the syringe back to the 1.0 ml mark. You just keep adding drops from where you are, at the .4ml mark.

You just add enough of the solution to get close to your normal number.
But what if you don't have a normal number to base this on? I feel like I should be able to follow the instructions exactly and come to a result, not make it up depending on what I think the result should be.

I've experimented with adding different amounts initially but can't get the solution to turn pink, it immediately turns blue and stays blue regardless. I wish I at least knew if this meant I have exceedingly low or high calcium.

I'm also unsure why they have results for anything over .4ml (or certainly .7ml if you're doing the lower resolution) as they specifically say you should ALWAYS add at least .6ml or .3ml initially. You'll never be at a higher mark. Unless they are leaving out instructions for lower calcium levels?

lizzyann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if anyone is still trying to figure this out, I got a reply from Salifert's Facebook page. They sent the following video and text:

"Hi, above is a short video. Swirling after the 0.6 ml is important. You will see in the video that only after that it turns pink. Also please note the syringe reading in the video once 0.6 ml is added. These are the more common mistakes sometimes are made. If it still blue then the calcium is lower than 360 mg/L or ppm."

So, I'm going to assume my calcium is lower than 360. Still a little strange to me that you can't measure anything less than 360 with their new test, but oh well, it certainly gives me something to go off of and I will be able to confidently start dosing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if anyone is still trying to figure this out, I got a reply from Salifert's Facebook page. They sent the following video and text:

"Hi, above is a short video. Swirling after the 0.6 ml is important. You will see in the video that only after that it turns pink. Also please note the syringe reading in the video once 0.6 ml is added. These are the more common mistakes sometimes are made. If it still blue then the calcium is lower than 360 mg/L or ppm."

So, I'm going to assume my calcium is lower than 360. Still a little strange to me that you can't measure anything less than 360 with their new test, but oh well, it certainly gives me something to go off of and I will be able to confidently start dosing.

It's risky to assume that it is working, but it may be. I see no reason to not add 0.3 mL instead of 0.6 initially. Then just go from there, still tracking the total titrant added to the endpoint.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back