Salifert vs. Elos

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which test kits are more reliable or accurate? I saw the Salifert calcium test kit is more sensitive than the Elos because the Elos measures Ca every 25ppm. I'm interested in the KH, Ca and Mg test kits.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure which are more accurate. but i use all salifert and are very happy with their accuracy...

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within the range it measures, i believe ELOS tests are FAR superior. They are 10x faster to do, which means you are far more likely to keep up with testing.

If you need more precise numbers, youll need to look into Lamotte test kits, which are VERY expensive, and IME, not worth the extra money.

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the elos kit. its worked very nicely for me. Ive had both and I will get the elos again when I run out.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, me too. Im one of those guys that if its not perfect, i wont use it. Salifert tests are a problem for a couple reasons.

1. Availability can shift drastically.

2. To many steps, and too much counting.

Elos tests are, add water, powder, and count maybe 8-9 drops. Much nicer than counting 35 drops or so, and a lot faster.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API kH test kit is the exact same as the elos at a fraction of the cost. For magnesium the sea chem mg kit seems to be the most accurate (although its harder to use).

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why everyone is crazy over the elos test kits. As I said the API kH is the EXACT same as the elos kH test kit. The reagent is identical.

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elos only comes trough one central distributor. Elos has made a agreement that only certain online vendors can sell them. And there are very few that are allowed. But all brick and mortar stores can stock them.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual bottle of KH reagent from API is larger than the Elos, so if they are the same then you should get more tests out of the API.

You count drops with the Elos Ca test kit. 18 will give you 450ppm. Also, Elos has changed their test kit directions frequently, which has led to confusion for users, and they had a problem with the volume indicators on their glass vials reading wrong. Always use the syringe provided.

I would be confident with either Salifert or Elos. I own Elos KH and Calcium test kits, but they are not without their problems. I like the Salifert Mag. test kit.

In my area Salifert test kits are more affordable than Elos as well.

IMO, if anyone cares about their corals you just do the required tests with whatever kits you choose reagrdless of how easy or hard they are. Anyone deep into it has thousand of dollars in livestock.

No sympathy when someone has a tank crash, and cannot remember their last water change or when they last tested their alkalinity.
Dave

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 84 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.1%
Back