Salinity Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter craymond
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

craymond

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
Harvard MA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice.

I’ve been using a refractometer for years (fairly expensive back in the day); the instructions read to calibrate with RO/DI. Calibrated with RO/DI my tank salinity is 35%.

I also have the APEX w/Salinity module. I’ve calibrated it several times and replaced the probe but find that swings depending on where in the sump I place it. Placing the probe in a beaker of tank water the APEX reads ~37% salinity.

Not sure which is correct, and after reading some R2R salinity threads, I purchased calibration solution to see if the variance is due to the refractometer. After calibration the refractometer had my tank salinity at 32%. & RO/DO water, on the solution calibrated refractometer reads -0%

So, I don’t know what to trust…

RO/DI calibrated refractometer that reads 35%
APEX salinity module that reads 37%
Solution calibrated refractometer that reads 32%

Anyone have similar experience or have recommendations?
 
Last edited:
I would borrow a local reefer's refractometer to see how it goes. Sometimes these older units develop rust on the flip part (clear plastic piece held together by metal hardware). It can affect the reading. That's the only thing that I can assume that would throw things that off.
 
I agree with Eric. Also, I'm very surprised that your salinity meter fluctuates that much unless you have it near the heater or ATO feed.

CJ
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 10.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new