Salinity level WAY too high

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water is fine. Check it with a handheld TDS meter if you have one. It will read zero.

It does cost about a buck per gallon. Most fish stores will sell you RODI for much less than that.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water is fine. Check it with a handheld TDS meter if you have one. It will read zero.

It does cost about a buck per gallon. Most fish stores will sell you RODI for much less than that.
It was just an idea. But ima hold off on my trusty RO filter, 0 TDS everytime:cool: after a couple water changes 30min apart Im sitting at 1.034, making progress

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you certain that the current measurement is right when the earlier one was not?

Do you know why it was off before?

Plenty of folks, myself included, have "fixed" problems, only to find it was a test error.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you certain that the current measurement is right when the earlier one was not?

Do you know why it was off before?

Plenty of folks, myself included, have "fixed" problems, only to find it was a test error.
I’m not 100% certain. I guess it is time to make a solution myself to make sure it’s spot on before I start dialing in where I want it to be. Thank you for the reminder.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley another user recommended a salinity solution that you wrote about... like to create. I’m having a hard time. Could you link the thread or article for me so I can create a calibration solution for myself.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the quick help and quick responses! It’s a great community I have found on here and very thankful for all of y’all and all the information I’ve learned from other peoples personal experience!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are talking about being uncertain on the scale of 1.026 vs 1.038, and you do not have a scale, the measuring cup method in the article will help distinguish those.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the worst of it is over but... Milwaukee is reading 1.028 while hydrometer is reading 1.026. I just ordered a gram scale so I can make my own calibration solution but it’s not coming in until Saturday. Which one of these 2 should I trust or where should I try to get it until I get my scale and make a calibration solution?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the worst of it is over but... Milwaukee is reading 1.028 while hydrometer is reading 1.026. I just ordered a gram scale so I can make my own calibration solution but it’s not coming in until Saturday. Which one of these 2 should I trust or where should I try to get it until I get my scale and make a calibration solution?
1.028 or 1.026 isn’t bad. Just hold it there until you can accurately check things. Just be sure to keep up with evaporation.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.028 or 1.026 isn’t bad. Just hold it there until you can accurately check things. Just be sure to keep up with evaporation.
So two days at 1.028 (if it’s that) won’t kill anything more? And I have to do water changes daily because of the uncured live rock. So Milwaukee is testing 1.028 so I can just make the fresh water at 1.028 according to that right?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So two days at 1.028 won’t kill anything more?
My 180 has sat at 1.028 for a few days before when our water main blew in my small town. I had to ration out purified water bottles lol. Nothing was seriously affected. Sps was angry and lost a little color, but everything else was fine.

Now take this lightly, as all tanks are different. Luckily you are just at the rock stage. Most of the small critters in rocks, including bacteria can survive in higher salinity tide pools for hours at a time. Myself, I would aim for 1.024 as your tests are reading differently. That would leave me in the range of most recommended salinity levels up or down.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m kinda confused now. I zero it out with distilled water. Test with calibration fluid (1.025) and it read 1.026, did this all again read 1.027... why is this expensive tester reading off right out of the box
Usually calibration fluid is 35ppt
Which converts to 1.0265

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually calibration fluid is 35ppt
Which converts to 1.0265
The calibration from Milwaukee specifically states "1.025 S.G. 20/20" but it does say to shake the bottle and I did not do that. Planning on making my own 35ppt calibration solution once my scale gets here Saturday!

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the SG with a hydrometer. should give you a fairly accurate reading.
Thank you. I ended up fixing the problem that day and have since purchased a floating hydrometer that never needs calibration and is accurate to the 0.005 sg. It’s been working out great. Salinity steady at 1.0264:cool:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back