Salinity level WAY too high

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been using a refractometer to get my salinity at 1.025. I was testing my brothers water with his hydrometer and they were way off from each other. I looked up what I could be doing wrong to find out my refractometer was made for beer and wine. So I ordered the Milwaukee digital refractometer and it came in today. My salinity level is at 1.038!! And I just put live rock in today. Should I take a bunch of the water out and replace with straight RO water or do this gradually?? I’m kinda freaking out cuz I don’t wanna kill all that new life on my live rock

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m kinda confused now. I zero it out with distilled water. Test with calibration fluid (1.025) and it read 1.026, did this all again read 1.027... why is this expensive tester reading off right out of the box

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A high salinity will flush out the hitch hikers so that isn't a bad thing really. But it needs to be kept pretty short. I would lower it quickly if it were me and pull out all the hitch hikers you don't want

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m kinda confused now. I zero it out with distilled water. Test with calibration fluid (1.025) and it read 1.026, did this all again read 1.027... why is this expensive tester reading off right out of the box
Don't calibrate with distilled water. Use saltwater that you know the salinity of. You can make your own solution with table salt or buy calibration solution.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure out an accurate reading before making drastic changes!

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trust the digital. You can make a solution per the directions on your salt and test that before reacting.
It doesn’t have a calibration button though, only zero it out using distilled. But I’ll make up a solution real quick to test that.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Milwaukee has a .002 margin of error and it is common to have the 1.025 fluid they send read 1.027. There was a small issue but just zero it with the distilled water and you are good to go. Don't worry what it reads the 1.025 fluid at. Calibrate with the distilled water at 0 and test your water

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All refractos should be calibrated with the calibration solution before first use.

The calibration fluid bottle should be floated in the tank for a bit, unless you have a temp calibrated refracto.

Once your refracto is calibrated with the solution, test the tank.

When in doubt, carry a sample to the lfs for a second set of testing.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All refractos should be calibrated with the calibration solution before first use.

The calibration fluid bottle should be floated in the tank for a bit, unless you have a temp calibrated refracto.

Once your refracto is calibrated with the solution, test the tank.

When in doubt, carry a sample to the lfs for a second set of testing.
The digital one is temp calibrated. Refractometer is supposedly for beer and wine and other threads said those won’t work

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back