Salinity Probes that work with the Apex

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I refer back to the original question: [Are there other] Salinity Probes that work with the Apex?

For instance, any of the probes offered by METTLER TOLEDO can work?
https://www.mt.com/int/en/home/prod...owse/pH-meter/sensor/conductivity-sensor.html

Even if the connector must be adapted/changed and a resistor or a simple mod must be done, I'm up for that.

I'm not interested in debating if the Neptune probe works or not, just want to know if I can get an alternative probe to work.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one seems very similar to Neptune's:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362498979065?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

1646069158113.png

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Anyone ever figure anything out? Seems suspect to me that Apex stopped including the salinity probe in the new A3. Clearly they know it's an issue. FIX IT!! Take our money for something that works!! Hell I'll take something 3rd party with a way to integrate it at this point. But my probe just will not calibrate and it's reading between 3.6-3.9 - smfh

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grabbed one from eBay. Open box for $11 shipped. Will take some time to get it and play with it, but I will report my results here.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of course it has a different connector. I will have to inspect a broken Neptune salinity probe and hard wire the Pasco probe to the Neptune connector or try to make an adapter. I will report my progress.

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should license the technology from the Hanna salinity meter. That one works great IMO.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't take this as a sarcastic response. Let's face it - barring a major problem the salinity is not really an 'important' parameter. I'm not sure there is a reason for constant monitoring. Were I you - I would just check it manually - with any number of test kits once a week. Why? By the time you get an alert that it's low, there will be water all over the floor - and any damage will be done perhaps. The only way the salinity can rise or fall - is not enough water being added - or not enough evaporating (too much added). IME - this is rare. The use of a small ATO as compared to a constant source of water helps make sure this does not cause a problem. I know this is not a direct answer but its my opinion

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are an awful lot of posts saying that they don't work. The two tanks that I setup for friends that have an Apex had similar issues and the owners decided to remove them due to drifting and the constant maintenance.
Absolutely - They IME - do not work consistently.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@MnFish1 My Max s 500 has a manual ATO that I want to know if it is stuck on. Kind of just peace of mind, right? But, I think I am leaning towards dropping a Tunze ATO pump down the reservoir in the back of the tank and run it from there.

Don't take this as a sarcastic response. Let's face it - barring a major problem the salinity is not really an 'important' parameter. I'm not sure there is a reason for constant monitoring. Were I you - I would just check it manually - with any number of test kits once a week. Why? By the time you get an alert that it's low, there will be water all over the floor - and any damage will be done perhaps. The only way the salinity can rise or fall - is not enough water being added - or not enough evaporating (too much added). IME - this is rare. The use of a small ATO as compared to a constant source of water helps make sure this does not cause a problem. I know this is not a direct answer but its my opinion

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to share my findings with the community.

I'm just sharing my findings, but I'm not responsible for any issues that may arise. Take this information with a grain of salt, do your own research and know that anything you do is at your own risk.

Having said that...

I found a compatible conductivity (salinity) probe. It can be found on eBay. The probe has a BNC connector, but an adapter is very easy to make. The inner pin of the BNC goes to pin 1 of the mini din 4 pin connector. The outside of the BNC goes to pin 2 of the mini din 4 pin connector. That's it. It calibrated perfectly and it has been running for hours very stable.

The probe I'm using is the following: Pasco PS-2116A PasPort Conductivity Sensor P09280. The probe comes with a module that is not required at all.

Here's a picture of the mini din 4 pin female connector with the pin numbers. Imagine you are looking at the Apex head unit and this is the salinity probe female port.

MiniDIN-4_Connector_Pinout.svg.png

My probe looks like this:

1687653791848.jpeg

The probe itself reads: Pasco Scientific 699-06621.

That's it. Cheers!

Last edited:

kylarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm just sharing my findings, but I'm not responsible for any issues that may arise. Take this information with a grain of salt, do your own research and know that anything you do is at your own risk.

Having said that...

I found a compatible conductivity (salinity) probe. It can be found on eBay. The probe has a BNC connector, but an adapter is very easy to make. The inner pin of the BNC goes to pin 1 of the mini din 4 pin connector. The outside of the BNC goes to pin 2 of the mini din 4 pin connector. That's it. It calibrated perfectly and it has been running for hours very stable.

The probe I'm using is the following: Pasco PS-2116A PasPort Conductivity Sensor P09280. The probe comes with a module that is not required at all.

Here's a picture of the mini din 4 pin female connector with the pin numbers. Imagine you are looking at the Apex head unit and this is the salinity probe female port.

1687653791848.jpeg

That's it. Cheers!
Works perfectly, thanks.

kylarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Having said that...

1687653791848.jpeg

That's it. Cheers!
Works perfectly, thanks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back