sally lightfoot - PLEASE HELP!

kkrista123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I know I did it to myself. My sally lightfoot was amazing for 6 months probably even longer, very cool to to watch but now he’s eaten quite a few fish and I’m over it! I think we bought a fish and it didn’t make it because we used a bad lfs and the sally had a taste for fish. Or he just finally got large enough to catch them. Either way, same old story I can’t get him out. Can I buy a crab trap for him anywhere? Is there a good way to diy one? Thanks so much for any help!!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe put a chunk of food in to ‘attrack his attention’ with net ready ?

Or you could put a fish trap at the bottom, sort of like a lobster trap with food in, and then wait.....

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually a deep tubaware container with higher sidewalls would suffice. Try to lay something along the side of it so the crab can climb up and in. You will probably need to not feed him for a few days so he’s super hungry and desperate. Then into the sump he goes

Jjd531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go on YouTube and look for diy traps, your best bet would be to put some food thatll sink, in some sort of container they arent gonna be able to get out of easy when you start taking them out. I once used a similar concept on my dottyback, dont think I could ever pull that off again, did it in one shot too lol. Also if you enjoy the crab have you thought about fish that are faster swimmers or wont put up with crab crap, my dottyback would throw that crab out onto the floor. Another thing I might add is some of your fish may have died naturally or from stress ect, and the crab simply just started scavenging. I had a questionable coral banded shrimp which I thought might be responsible for killing two cardinals after I got them but I was never completely sure, did get rid of the shrimp though.

Back