Salt in my veins...

Capt. Scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef

My name is Scott. Just wanted to say Hello and introduce my self. I'm a salt water aquarist from way back... Can't say I'm a reefer yet. Back in the day I had an 80 gal fish only salt tank. Before I went "Dry" I did have live rock in my tank. Much has changed in the hobby since I started... the internet for one...
Wet/Dry sumps with Bio Balls were the method of filtration... I also ran a DIY protein skimmer... and "Daylight" fluorescent bulbs. HO and VHO (High output and very high output) fluorescent bulbs were the high tech upgrade... refugiums were cutting edge marine biologist stuff.

I'm amazed by the info available today. It's a bit overwhelming. My go to back then was Matrin Moe Jr.'s "Marine Aquarium Handbook" and "Marine Aquarium Reference"

So I guess you can say I am an "Old Salt"... Just purchased a used 80g cube. Working on a budget and system design to start with. Looking forward to "meeting" new folks in the Salt community, and enjoying the hobby together...

Capt. Scott

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef

My name is Scott. Just wanted to say Hello and introduce my self. I'm a salt water aquarist from way back... Can't say I'm a reefer yet. Back in the day I had an 80 gal fish only salt tank. Before I went "Dry" I did have live rock in my tank. Much has changed in the hobby since I started... the internet for one...
Wet/Dry sumps with Bio Balls were the method of filtration... I also ran a DIY protein skimmer... and "Daylight" fluorescent bulbs. HO and VHO (High output and very high output) fluorescent bulbs were the high tech upgrade... refugiums were cutting edge marine biologist stuff.

I'm amazed by the info available today. It's a bit overwhelming. My go to back then was Matrin Moe Jr.'s "Marine Aquarium Handbook" and "Marine Aquarium Reference"

So I guess you can say I am an "Old Salt"... Just purchased a used 80g cube. Working on a budget and system design to start with. Looking forward to "meeting" new folks in the Salt community, and enjoying the hobby together...

Capt. Scott
Welcome to R2R Captian!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tumblr_lpbdl1Z8te1qjhjdwo2_r6_250.gif

tumblr_o3y4pherIa1s3h43ko1_500.gif

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see there are still some of us out there that remember those days.
Had a chance to meet Martin Moe back in the day. Still have my signed copy of the Handbook.
A lot has changed, but the basics never do.
Ask lots of questions, there are tons of people here to help.
Glad you are back in the game!!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Let’s see your 80 gal! Also, keep us posted with your build with lots of photos! :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef. I've been at it since 93 and yes, things have changed a great deal since way back when. Technology has advanced to where virtually anyone can keep difficult corals such as SPS, where way back then it was far and few between.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard Captain and welcome to R2R and your new reefing family. I had the honor of having lunch with Martin Moe this past fall. What a terrific guy for sure. A lot has changed...and yet, a lot hasn't.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Scott, your intro brought back memories:eek::D

Do your homework on lighting;)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You again for the Welcome! and the links to great threads! I will start a build thread once I actually start working on my system! For now here is a shot of my 80 Cube in the garage.
Capt.
Welcome aboard and hope you feel at home on Reef 2 Reef

Freddie

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard R2R, Skipper!

I would actually enjoy seeing someone show up on here with an Old School build thread:

- Over-the-rim overflow box with plastic hose leading to a bioball-filled sump
- General Electric fluorescent fixture with a blue and a white bulb
- Cycling with feeder goldfish or guppies
- Floating or stick-on thermometer
- Coil of tubing or hose under kitchen sink as Top-Off...not so automatic.
- TruVu lightly-scratched acrylic tank (Hold on...I actually have that!)

You Red Sea Reefer folks can then roll your eyes all you want!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.2%
Back