salt level

angelfish5410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost a lawnmower blenny and mandarin goby each a day after adding them to my tank. My water checks out perfect. My salt level is at 1.026. The store I purchased them from told me my salt level was too high and that is why they died. When they get them they come in at 1.010 to 1.011. Suggestions please.

capt85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.026 is where I have had mine for 2 years with great success. 1.010 is really low and lower than natural sea water (not good).

What is your acclimation process?

guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the store U got them from the one telling you that UR salt is to high? A level at 1.026 to 1.027 is what I have had for 6 years now and what I had is for the 10 years in the hobby in the 80's with no issues. That maybe a fish only but I do not think so. UR salt level is spot on.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.10 to 1.11 is close to hypo salinity levels, generally not a normally salinity level you'll see in the hobby. 1.023-1.026 is generally what you'll see.

Also, raising the salinity for a fish that quickly is not recommended.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

angelfish5410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not realize their salt was that low so I went ahead and put them in the tank. Should I put them in a separate tank and slowly raise the level before puttting them in big tank or ?????

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new fish needs to be acclimated to your tank water. I use drip acclimation by simply taking a piece of 1/4 inch tubing and tying a knot in the tubing so that a siphon slowly drips tank water into a small bucket holding the fish.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new fish needs to be acclimated to your tank water. I use drip acclimation by simply taking a piece of 1/4 inch tubing and tying a knot in the tubing so that a siphon slowly drips tank water into a small bucket holding the fish.

Exactly. Take the new fish...and their water....and put in a bowl/container/bucket/etc. Get some 1/4 tubing and slowly drip your tank water into the bucket. When you double the water, pour half of it out and drip more. Ideally you'd want a drip or two per second.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back