Salt Mix Brand Advice Needed!

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my nano reef tank for roughly 8 months now and I have been fighting with Alkalinity throughout the whole process. My corals are starting to look really bad. I have been doing weekly 20% water changes but it doesn’t affect my low alkalinity levels at all. My alkalinity tests at 6.1 DKH. Since I have 2 small coral frags, I don’t believe that they take up that much alkalinity in just a week. After doing my research, I found out that my LFS uses Tropic Marin Pro for their pre-mixed saltwater. I know that Tropic Marin Pro mixes at a low alkalinity level, so I will be changing the salt brand I use. I’m thinking to switch to Instant Ocean, due to its affordability. I am not able to find any parameters for the salt but I believe that it should get the job done. Is buying Instant Ocean alright or do you guys suggest other brands?

- Thanks, Rob

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an instant ocean user but if you are trying to avoid supplements I might try a salt mix known to mix high in major elements like ReefCrystals or RedSea Coral pro.

Instant ocean works great at home. I use Two Little Fishies AccuraSea1 at the office because I really like the 5 gallon packets. It can be a great option for nanos.

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple question.

What salt brand you are currently using and which ALK test kit you used?

If you don't have a lot of corals and performed weekly WC. I doubled that your ALK depleted that quick.

I am currently using I/O ALK is range is between 9-10, which I think is a good range.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of Tropica Marin mixing at around 7 so to have an alk of 6.1 with no supplementation and only weekly 20% water changes is not crazy.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix seachem salinity and I/O reef crystals. My fresh mix is roughly 8.3 at 1.025 but varies because, well, salt mix.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that if I don't use my salt within a day or so of mixing, the all drops significantly. I wonder if that's happening in the lfs that you buy your mix from. I get similar drop with just salinity or just reef crystals. Not sure there's a salt that's actually stable after mixing but I'm interested in it.

OP
OP
Robert_Popa_918

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple question.

What salt brand you are currently using and which ALK test kit you used?

If you don't have a lot of corals and performed weekly WC. I doubled that your ALK depleted that quick.

I am currently using I/O ALK is range is between 9-10, which I think is a good range.

I’m currently using Tropic Marin and using Saltifert for testing.

destro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to switch to TMP from Red Sea Salt because of how highly "clean" the salt mixes people say. If there's an alk issue, I'll wait to see what others say.

OP
OP
Robert_Popa_918

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that if I don't use my salt within a day or so of mixing, the all drops significantly. I wonder if that's happening in the lfs that you buy your mix from. I get similar drop with just salinity or just reef crystals. Not sure there's a salt that's actually stable after mixing but I'm interested in it.

That very well may be the issue. I store my saltwater for roughly 2 weeks before using it completely. I’m not sure if the alkalinity depletes on its own but I will start making my own saltwater the day before a water change with Instant Ocean.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to switch to TMP from Red Sea Salt because of how highly "clean" the salt mixes people say. If there's an alk issue, I'll wait to see what others say.

I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef, I mix it to 35 ppt and get an Alk of 8 according to Salifert. I use it within a few hours of mixing, whenever I get around to it :)

OP
OP
Robert_Popa_918

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My advice would be to definitely do some more research before using Tropic Marin. I’m not sure if the water just has low Alkalinity or if it is because I store the saltwater for a couple of weeks before a water change. Although all my other parameters are normal so I figured If storing it is an issue, all my other parameters would be off as well.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a video on this and it doesn't drop much at all.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting because mine does drop. Goes from 8.3 ish to 6 or less after a few days of circulating, which shops as precipitation as I get crusty stuff all over my mix container, pump, heaters.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my nano reef tank for roughly 8 months now and I have been fighting with Alkalinity throughout the whole process. My corals are starting to look really bad. I have been doing weekly 20% water changes but it doesn’t affect my low alkalinity levels at all. My alkalinity tests at 6.1 DKH. Since I have 2 small coral frags, I don’t believe that they take up that much alkalinity in just a week. After doing my research, I found out that my LFS uses Tropic Marin Pro for their pre-mixed saltwater. I know that Tropic Marin Pro mixes at a low alkalinity level, so I will be changing the salt brand I use. I’m thinking to switch to Instant Ocean, due to its affordability. I am not able to find any parameters for the salt but I believe that it should get the job done. Is buying Instant Ocean alright or do you guys suggest other brands?

- Thanks, Rob
IO is a fine choice.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Live Aquarias salt and I also use red sea salt or whatever vivid uses(last time i asked they said red sea) when i don't make my own. I run carbon and gfo and still manage around 8.

Parameters
Salinity: 35 ppt (1.026 sg)
Calcium: 400-450 ppm
Magnesium: 1,350-1,450 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.0-9.5dKH
Strontium: 9 ppm
Potassium: 400 ppm

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently using reef crystals which has high alk but my magnesium is insanely high on fresh mixed water. 2400! RC has issues with not being well mixed in the bucket (according to BRS). I tried mixing it up but it didn’t help.

I’m likely switching to Red Sea pro.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use bright well neomarine butiumless you have a ton of corals - its most likely your testing thats incorrect -or the salt isnt mixed throughout the bag/box/bucket you're using -resulting in varying alk measurements...

Also - make sure you're mixing the salt exactly to the instructions - as doing it 'wrong' can affect alkalinity.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my nano reef gets 100% water changes from lfs made water and they buy only whats on sale and always the cheapest. been through all major kinds

at any given moment, boom 100% water change and new params. for 13 yrs.

it never affects the outcome of my tank, as no salts mix up lethally and with the regular bi weekly work itll cover very high rations of sps to gallons thats for sure. brand of salt never, ever matters to me I dont even bother checking unless just curious.

I tend to have to wipe glass for brown diatoms slightly more often in some years, could be io time but growth never changes. color/always bright etc. all you have to do to power up a nano is blast feed it occasionally/big water change sequence to export, or, use creative target feeding means occasionally for the corals such as total removal feeding (in bowls) and or cupped feeding inside the tank sometimes (things that dont distribute uneaten food around the tank to make you feed less)

driving feeding is weightlifting and mass building and positive nit balance for corals. its not in the params, all params support reef powerliftingfeeding.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back