Salt water filter design help

Johnnyv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am converting my 150 gallon tank to saltwater. I currently have a 55 gallon tank in the bottom for the sump. It is broken into different sections. First is where the pipes dump in, then overflows to a second chamber with some heavy duty matting for mechanical filtration. Then under a wall to rise up through lava rock for biological. It then goes through another set of compartments for any other types i wanted to add (carbon, phosguard etc). Ill have to figure out a way to reroute the pipes slightly so that they can drop into bags for filtration. Unless i can still use the matting like it is. What is the best way for me to design the sump?

tank.jpg

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the baffle between the two misc parts to incorporate a refugium. I know very little about sump design sadly. I do know lava rock isn't fantastic at harboring bacteria. Did you perhaps mean live rock?

OP
OP
J

Johnnyv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, im removing the lava rock. I works for fresh but questionable for salt.

OP
OP
J

Johnnyv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what exactly is a refugium? Ive read about it but what is it that you actually grow there?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back